Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

This may sound rather silly

1. Jun 26, 2005 #1
    Nomeclature of 'abnormal glucose isomer

Now this isomer may not really exist (it might...not sure),
    but what is 1,2,3,4,5,6-hydroxycyclohexane more properly called?

*(that's how I named it--an isomer with molecular formula [tex] C_6 H_{12} O_6 [/tex]---with a cyclohexane base, just replace one hydrogen at each carbon with a hydroxyl group. But...I'm pretty sure there is a better, shorter, more knowledgeable name for it :frown: )

Last edited: Jun 26, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 26, 2005 #2
    Well, the full name would be cyclohex-1,2,3,4,5,6-hexaol because you put the hydroxy branch numbers in the centre (remember?) but I think, due to the hexa in the middle, that you could say it is cyclohex-hexaol but this might not be true.

4. Jun 26, 2005 #3

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The common name is meso-inositol (or simply inositol) and it belongs to a class known as cyclitols.

5. Jun 26, 2005 #4

movies

Science Advisor

Wouldn't the "meso" part depend on the stereochemistry of the hydroxy groups?

6. Jun 26, 2005 #5

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes it would. I imagined the compound was the meso-compound as this isomer is very important in the pharmaceutical industry. It could as easily have been one of the chiral isomers, I guess.

7. Jun 26, 2005 #6
    Wow--I had no idea :bugeye:
    I just thought this was any random glucose isomer :redface:

I was searching online--and it appears to a beneficial biological compound;

*Also, what is the proper name for this compound, "hexahydroxycyclohexene," "cyclohex-1,2,3,4,5,6-enol"---basically a cyclohexene, with one hydroxyl group on each carbon? (what is the correct name?)
    *And what is the proper name for this compound, "dodecahydroxycyclohexane"---basically a cyclohexane, with EverY hydrogen replaced with a hydroxyl group? (12 hydroxyl groups, two per carbon) (what is the correct/proper name?) and, would this compound be very Very unstable?

---or, can any direct me to a webpage on the nomenclature of cyclitols?

Last edited: Jun 27, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?