What is the Nomenclature of Glucose Isomers?

• Thread starter bomba923
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sound
In summary, meso-inositol is a cyclitol that is important for various functions in the body, including preventing fat accumulation.
bomba923
Nomeclature of 'abnormal glucose isomer

Now this isomer may not really exist (it might...not sure),
but what is 1,2,3,4,5,6-hydroxycyclohexane more properly called?

*(that's how I named it--an isomer with molecular formula [tex] C_6 H_{12} O_6 [/tex]---with a cyclohexane base, just replace one hydrogen at each carbon with a hydroxyl group. But...I'm pretty sure there is a better, shorter, more knowledgeable name for it :frown: )

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
bomba923 said:
Now this isomer may not really exist (it might...not sure),
but what is 1,2,3,4,5,6-hydroxycyclohexane more properly called?
Well, the full name would be cyclohex-1,2,3,4,5,6-hexaol because you put the hydroxy branch numbers in the centre (remember?) but I think, due to the hexa in the middle, that you could say it is cyclohex-hexaol but this might not be true.

The common name is meso-inositol (or simply inositol) and it belongs to a class known as cyclitols.

Wouldn't the "meso" part depend on the stereochemistry of the hydroxy groups?

Yes it would. I imagined the compound was the meso-compound as this isomer is very important in the pharmaceutical industry. It could as easily have been one of the chiral isomers, I guess.

Gokul43201 said:
Yes it would. I imagined the compound was the meso-compound as this isomer is very important in the pharmaceutical industry. It could as easily have been one of the chiral isomers, I guess.

Wow--I had no idea :bugeye:
I just thought this was any random glucose isomer :redface:

I was searching online--and it appears to a beneficial biological compound;

[PLAIN said:
http://www.independentliving.co.uk/vitamin4.html][/PLAIN]
Experimental deficiencies have been caused in animals: they led to hair loss, rashes, constipation, a reduction in growth rate and increase in congenital eye defects. There is no evidence linking human deficiency to such effects.

Although little is known about inositol's role in the body, it seems to be involved in various functions, including construction of cell membranes and lipoproteins in the plasma. It seems also to prevent fat accumulating in the liver and other organs, and is important for metabolising glucose.

*Also, what is the proper name for this compound, "hexahydroxycyclohexene," "cyclohex-1,2,3,4,5,6-enol"---basically a cyclohexene, with one hydroxyl group on each carbon? (what is the correct name?)
*And what is the proper name for this compound, "dodecahydroxycyclohexane"---basically a cyclohexane, with EverY hydrogen replaced with a hydroxyl group? (12 hydroxyl groups, two per carbon) (what is the correct/proper name?) and, would this compound be very Very unstable?

---or, can any direct me to a webpage on the nomenclature of cyclitols?

Last edited by a moderator:

What does "This may sound rather silly" mean?

"This may sound rather silly" is a phrase used to introduce a statement or question that may seem strange or absurd at first, but the speaker believes it to be true or valuable.

Why do people use the phrase "This may sound rather silly"?

People use this phrase to acknowledge that their statement or question may seem unconventional or unusual. It can also serve as a way to soften the impact of their words and make them more approachable.

Is it necessary to use "This may sound rather silly" when speaking scientifically?

No, it is not necessary to use this phrase when speaking scientifically. However, it can be a useful tool to introduce new or unconventional ideas in a more approachable way.

Are there other similar phrases that can be used instead of "This may sound rather silly"?

Yes, there are other phrases that can be used to introduce unconventional or seemingly absurd ideas, such as "Bear with me" or "I know this may sound crazy, but...". The choice of phrase may vary depending on the context and the audience.

How can one respond to a statement or question that begins with "This may sound rather silly"?

One can respond by listening attentively and keeping an open mind. It is important to give the speaker a chance to explain their idea or question before dismissing it. Remember, just because something may sound silly at first, it doesn't mean it is not worth considering.