Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

This movie should not be shown in the USA

1. Oct 28, 2006 #1
    Death of a President

It is against the law to threaten the president, yet some how this fictional UK documentary mockumentary of Bush being assassinated can be shown.:rolleyes: This thing may bring a lot of nuts out of their shells.

he was a quiet man, never said much
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2006 #2
    While I am not a huge fan of Bush's policies, this "movie" is just plain disrespectful and immoral to say the least....
  4. Oct 28, 2006 #3

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Come on, it's purely fiction!

It may be disgusting to some, but I think that's no reason to ban this film.
  5. Oct 28, 2006 #4
    It is not just the idea of a fictional fiilm which depicts the assination of a sitting living president that is a problem, it is the way the mockumentary is made. They are using live footage of Bush wherever possible and either a Bush look alike or some dam good digital trickery in other scenes.

This is taking fiction far too close to reality. Some theater chains have banned it.
  6. Oct 28, 2006 #5
    how so? iv only seen the clip and read some of the link but i dont see the immorality and disrespectfullness. the controversy isn't apparent to me yet
  7. Oct 28, 2006 #6

Gold Member

I'm sure they appreciate your free plug.

Now I must go see it to find out what all the controvery is about...
  8. Oct 28, 2006 #7
    I didn't plug anything Dave. I insisted that it be unplugged. The world doesn't need me or this forum to promote anything. In the overall scheme of things, we are but a small voice in the wilderness. All we can do here is to either agee or disagree on the matter.

As for the controversy it is as I mentioned, using real video of a real living president in the mocumentary, movie.

Edit: This movie may yet die it's own quiet death. Although it is starting to appear that someone may be using the movie for some bizzare political reason. There was no comment about the movie from the whitehouse.
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  9. Oct 28, 2006 #8

Staff: Mentor

I don't see any redeeming value in such a movie, so I won't go see it, nor would I suggest anyone else see it.

The best thing now is just simply don't go see the movie.

I generally avoid violent movies, however I did see Lord of the Rings, Gladiator, The Bourne Identity and a few others.

Gratuitous violence turns me off.
  10. Oct 28, 2006 #9

Gold Member

I agree with Astronuc's fundamental statement, 'simply don't go see it'.
    Though, I personally like gratutitous violence, and I'm not at all violent; I'm all about self-defense; sparring with a willing partner is acceptable in my opinion, and not violent, and violence itself isn't evil. Someone can make me suffer without being violent, and violence may be my only redemption. If you want me to expand on that, I will upon request.

To the particular assassination movie, I wouldn't seek to watch it, but if someone else was playing it, I probably wouldn't be able to take my eyes off it.

Banning movies is silly. The only time to fear a movie is if it's very persuasive and can convince an army of citizens to act on someone else's wishes, in which case a ban isn't even neccisary: in fact, a ban could spark more interest in the viewpoints of the persuader.

A better tactic would be to put a message before the movie by the particular screening agency that indicates that the producers of the movie are trying to persuade you, and you should take the opportunity to be able to sort persuasive media from informative media. Educating people is for more empowering than keeping them ignorant.
  11. Oct 28, 2006 #10

What is this, Communist China where we sensor what can and cant be said?

Oh, brother. :rolleyes:

If you don't like the movie, just dont go watch.

Did you seem to forget about that whole 'free speech' deal in the constitution?

Ed, this is sad because your doing everything Bush does and you complain about. My my how we flip flop so fast.
  12. Oct 28, 2006 #11

13. Oct 28, 2006 #12
    Who is threating him?
  14. Oct 28, 2006 #13

Edward mentioned the fact in his OP. You seemed to dismiss that, or perhaps you just weren't refering to that part of his post.
  15. Oct 28, 2006 #14
    No, he said it is a fake drama about an assination of the president. That's not a threat against the president. It's a story. Read the reviews on your link, none of them talk about any 'threats' being made.

They just said the movie was not well made, and rated it low.
  16. Oct 28, 2006 #15
    I may be liberal, but not that liberal. "Anything goes" is not my style. "Morality, like art, means drawing a line someplace." (Oscar Wilde.)
    I occasionally draw a line.

From what I have seen this movie goes far over the line of reason, consdering the hatred that exists in today's world.

I am not worried about me seeing the movie. As I mentioned before, this unartful piece could incite those of a certain mental state to bring about exactly what happens in the movie.

That said and bearing in mind the timing of the release in the USA, plus the fact that the whitehouse has made no comment on the movie, leads me to wonder if this could possibly be a sick Rovian attempt to get out the republican vote.
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  17. Oct 28, 2006 #16
    Wow, I never knew you were the morals police Ed.

You know, they have a morals police, in Iran.

What have you seen? One 5 min trailer.

How does this STORY go over the line. If it were about 911, I could understand. Have you heard of the show 24, where there is a plot to assinate the president that came on FOX during prime time and was a big hit.

Why didnt you complain about that?.........................
  18. Oct 28, 2006 #17
    What a load of crap. I could say the same thing for any movie with violence. This is beyond flawed reasoning. Its flat out wrong.

I guess those war movies are causing the war in Iraq, yes?
  19. Oct 28, 2006 #18
    Ya well don't get caught with a hooker in Tucson.:rofl:

Go to YouTube and search for "Death of a President" there is plenty of video availabe that is not just a trailer footage. How much do you need? The whole blasted mockumentary?:smile:

I didn't see that, I don't watch much TV. Did it use actual footage of Bush to portray Bush? If it did all hell would have broken loose. I think that 24 also had a plot to blow up LA. 24 is a series right ?, or am I confused no smart arse answers please.
  20. Oct 28, 2006 #19
    Violence begats violence.:rolleyes:
  21. Oct 28, 2006 #20
    Yes, this is correct. Ohhhhh, I see. So its suddenly ok becuase the characters name was not Bush.

Ed, tell me. What does it mean to have free speech? I dont think you understand.

And nonsense is nonsense.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?