1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

This one has everyone stumped. Help ?

1. Feb 18, 2007 #1
    This one has everyone stumped. Help ??!!

Even went out to the college for help with this one. A round tak is 100 feet in diameter. It is to be filled with gasoline from the BOTTOM. The gasoline weighs 40 lbs per cubic foot. How much ENERGY in ergs will be required to fill the tank ? :yuck:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2007 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Sounds like Homework to me... Please show your attempted solution in order to get help.

Hint: Consider the change in potential energy

4. Feb 18, 2007 #3
    Not homework, but bonus question on a test that has been driving me up the wall. Will get the answer next week, but it's killing me. Thanks.

5. Feb 18, 2007 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Well... what have you done so far?

6. Feb 18, 2007 #5
    Well, I tried to figure out how to set up the intergal, but that was a far as I got. If I could figure out how to set up my integral, I would be able to evaluate easily. I think my problem is that I'm a calc 2 student who hasn't had any physics, and that is why this is stumping me.

7. Feb 18, 2007 #6

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you'd had some physics, you'd see that you can solve this without having to explicitly integrate. See the hint in post #2.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?