Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

This petition is for physicists

1. Oct 26, 2005 #1
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2005/10/051026083447.htm

I don't know if you can still sign it, but it looks great:

This may belong in politics due to bits like this:

Petition is here:
    http://physics.ucsd.edu/petition/

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2005 #2

Danger

Gold Member

Those idiots get scarier by the minute! I wish that I was a physicist just so I could sign.

4. Oct 26, 2005 #3
    I think that we should keep our options open, in case that there is a certain time where we would need to do so for whatever reason, a reason which I cannot think of at the moment....

5. Oct 26, 2005 #4
    Damnit! I can't sign for another 7 and a half years!

6. Oct 26, 2005 #5
    I don't see why the opinions of a physicist are more valuable than anyone else's in this subject...

7. Oct 26, 2005 #6
    There is a section to sign for non-Physicist.

8. Oct 26, 2005 #7
    :)

In a sense they aren't, but when you earn your advanced physics degree (go for it!) things will look a little different.

I am sure you can find some petitions to sign that don't require a physics degree.

And also to everyone - even if you can't sign it, you can always forward it to any physics faculty you know of. They will be impressed.

9. Oct 26, 2005 #8

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Skimming through that list, I found a large number of big names in physics :
    Bardeen, Witten, Weinberg, Leggett, Osheroff, Georgi, Tsui, Ceperley, Wilczek, Jackiw, Halperin, Anderson, Kleppner, Peshkin, Marder, Merzbacher...

...and about half my department faculty...

...also, easily over a hundred names were of physicists in/from India !

Last edited: Oct 26, 2005
  10. Oct 26, 2005 #9

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Related news : http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4377446.stm

11. Oct 26, 2005 #10
    it's rediculous that people have to make petitions like this. It's a waste of time to even think of using nuclear weapons, let alone use them against helpless countries filled with countless innocent people. I hate our administration!!!

12. Oct 26, 2005 #11

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

13. Oct 27, 2005 #12
    Yes, because everyday we decide to blow up millions of people...

Honestly guys, think about it.

If something happened, the last thing we would want to do is send a nuke. Well, if it came down to that, then I would think that it's the only possible way out. If it wasn't absolutely necessary, we would never be able to do this. In my mind, this would change nothing anyway, if it came down to it and we absolutely had to kill a country (I still can't come up with a reason for this), then I doubt legislation would stop us considering how bad the situation would have to be.

14. Oct 27, 2005 #13

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

And while we're at it, let's make sure slavery isn't illegal either. Surely, if it wasn't absolutely necessary, nobody would have slaves, but just in case... you know.

15. Oct 27, 2005 #14
    There is no moral justification to kill the citizens of an entire country. Target the minority leaders who are enacting the repressive policies, not the citizens themselves. The last thing we need in today's world is more warmongering and the widespread collateral damage that results from the use of a nuclear weapon.

Not to mention the number of terrorists will drastically increase in strength if America decides to use a nuclear weapon against a country.

16. Oct 27, 2005 #15
    This is why I still can't think of a reason when it would be necessary........ It would never be truly "the right thing to do" but ehh.... Yeah, I can't see when we'd need it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?