1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

This Problem is Killing me and I don't know why!

1. Sep 18, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    It's 2.31

Here is what I am thinking so far:

At V2 the system is at equilibrium, so p2 equals p_atm since the spring exerts no force.

So p2 is known.

I now need p1. I am not sure where to go from here. I have V1, V2 and p2.
    I think that spring-force/area is part of p1...

Can someone give me a hint? :smile: Just a hint....
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2008 #2
    The work done by the piston on the air is

[tex]\int[/tex] P dV

You could write a linear equation for P as a fcn of V with the info you have, but of course geometrically this is just the area under the graph of P vs V, which in this case is trapezoidal in shape. Sketch the P-V trapezoid, calculate its area (watch the units), and you gave the work.
  4. Sep 18, 2008 #3
    That sounds reasonable! But, let's look at it for a moment w/out the p-V diagram, I am confused as to how to right out [itex]\int pdV[/itex] What kind of compression is this considered? p is not constant, nor is V. I am just confused as to how to incorporate the spring force?
  5. Sep 18, 2008 #4
    It says the spring force varies (decreases) linearly as the volume. You have two sets of (P,V) graph points, so you could write an equation of the form P = mV + c and use that to calculate the integral.
  6. Sep 18, 2008 #5
    I wish I followed you. What is P=mV+c ? It say that the spring force varies linearly, not the pressure...:confused:
  7. Sep 18, 2008 #6
    Are you saying that p can be written as a function of volume since ot is just the sum of p_atm and F_spring/area?

That is that [tex]p(V)=F/A+p_{atm}[/tex] so I have to find out what F is...

So I need to write F_spring as a function of V somehow....
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2008
  8. Sep 19, 2008 #7
    We know the following:

The spring force varies linearly from 9.00 kN to 0 kN. I'm writng this in kN for convenience, since kN / m^2 is kPa. Since the area of the piston is constant, and P = F / A, the pressure varies linearly also (as volume decreases) and so we can write a function P(V) = mV + c.

Now, when V = 0.003 m^3, F = 9.0 kN and P = (9.0 kN / 0.018 m^2) + 100 kPa = 600 kPa

When V = 0.002 m^3, F = 0.0 kN and P = (0.0 kN / 0.018 m^2) + 100 kPa = 100 kPa

Now using the two points (P,V) = (600,0.003), (100,0.002), we can find m and c for our function P(V).
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?