How Hot Does a Flashlight Bulb Get When Turned On?

• Thread starter wayneinsane
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with finding the temperature of a tungsten filament in a flashlight bulb. The bulb's operating conditions are given and the resistance of the tungsten filament at room temperature is known. Attempts to solve the problem have been made, but there is uncertainty about the correct temperature. A suggestion is given to use the ambient resistance and the resistance at power to find the increase in resistance with temperature, and a resource is provided for the temperature coefficient of tungsten.
wayneinsane
This Question is due in 2 Hours... Please Help!

A common flashlight bulb is rated at 0.200 A and 3.80 V (the values of current and voltage under operating conditions). If the resistance of the bulb's tungsten filament at room temperature (20.0°C) is 1.10 , estimate the temperature of the tungsten filament when the bulb is turned on.

Physics news on Phys.org

Please make an attempt to solve the problem and maybe someone will help.

Well... what I've tried to do was find the resistance which is R=E/I and I got 3.8/.2 = 19... then I divided that by 1.10 and got 17.27... someone told me to look up in a tungsten chart the value of the new temperature but the chart gives approximations. I've tried 3 attempts, I have 1 left so I can't make anymore approximations... I was wondering if anyone knew a way to find the correct temperature

1. What happens if I don't submit my question in 2 hours?

If you do not submit your question in 2 hours, it will likely be marked as late or may not be accepted at all. It is important to follow deadlines in order to stay on track with your work.

2. Can I request an extension on my question submission?

Extension requests are typically granted for extenuating circumstances such as illness or emergencies. It is best to communicate with your professor or supervisor as soon as possible if you need an extension.

3. Why do I have a limited amount of time to complete this question?

The time limit is likely in place to test your ability to work efficiently and effectively under pressure. It is also a common practice in academic and research settings to have deadlines to keep projects moving forward.

4. What happens if I submit my question after the deadline?

Submitting your question after the deadline may result in a penalty, such as a deduction in points or a lower grade. It is important to communicate with your professor or supervisor if you are unable to meet the deadline.

5. Can I work on my question before the 2-hour deadline?

It is important to check with your professor or supervisor if you are allowed to work on the question before the 2-hour deadline. Some may have strict rules against this to ensure fairness and prevent cheating.