This should be really easy but

• Thread starter NAkid
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the method for finding the work required to pull a hanging chain back onto a frictionless table. The correct method is to use energy methods or to integrate the force, which is not constant due to the changing mass distribution. The correct answer can be found by integrating (9.8*density*x*dx) from 0.325 to 0, where density is the linear density of the chain.
NAkid
[SOLVED] this should be really easy but..

Homework Statement

A chain is held on a frictionless table with one-fourth of its length hanging over the edge, as shown in the figure. If the chain has length L = 1.30m and mass m = 2.6kg, how much work is required to pull the hanging part back onto the table?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

ΔX=1.3*.25=.325
mass=2.6
g=9.8
F=m*a
W=FΔX
W=(2.6)(9.8)(.325)=8.281J

not the right answer

Physics news on Phys.org
should i not assume that the mass of the chain is evenly distributed over the length of the chain?

NAkid said:

The Attempt at a Solution

ΔX=1.3*.25=.325
mass=2.6
g=9.8
F=m*a
W=FΔX
W=(2.6)(9.8)(.325)=8.281J

not the right answer
Since the force is not constant, to use this method you'd need to integrate. (The integration is easy though.) Why not use energy methods instead? How does the gravitational PE change?

NAkid said:
should i not assume that the mass of the chain is evenly distributed over the length of the chain?

Yes, you should. But you can't use F*dx to get the work, since F isn't constant. As more of the chain is pulled onto the table F decreases. So you want to write F as a function of x, the amount of chain left hanging, and then integrate F(x)*dx.

so, integrate (2.6/1.3)dx from 0 to .325?

wait no that would be if the mass wasn't distributed evenly, never mind.

NAkid said:
wait no that would be if the mass wasn't distributed evenly, never mind.

The overhanging mass is the density of the chain times x. What other factor do you need to get a force?

using energy methods, i have W=mgy1-mgy2
you're lifting from y1=-.325 to y2=0
is the mass proportional to the chain or is it constant?

Last edited:
The overhanging mass is the density of the chain times x. What other factor do you need to get a force?

you need acceleration..

NAkid said:
using energy methods, i have W=mgy1-mgy2
you're lifting from y1=-.325 to y2=0
is the mass proportionate to the chain or is it constant?
Hint: Consider the part initially hanging. Where's the center of mass of that piece? How does it change when the chain is pulled up? (Alternatively, what's the average distance that the hanging mass elements must be raised?)

The mass of any piece of chain is proportional to its length.

NAkid said:

you need acceleration..

You need g. Integrate g*density*x*dx from 0.325 to 0. Using energy is also instructive. See if you get the same thing.

hm, integral of (9.8xdx) from .325 to 0 = .517, which is not what the answer i should get

NAkid said:
hm, integral of (9.8xdx) from .325 to 0 = .517, which is not what the answer i should get

Put in the density. (I omitted that when I first posted).

ah ok, i thought there was something missing, density = mass/volume --> 2.6/...?

Linear density. (total mass)/(total length).

never mind ---- got it.

What is the meaning of "This should be really easy but"?

The phrase "This should be really easy but" is often used to express frustration or surprise when something that appears simple or straightforward turns out to be more difficult than expected.

Why do people use the phrase "This should be really easy but"?

People use this phrase to express their initial expectations and then contrast them with the reality of the situation. It can also be used to acknowledge the difficulty of a task without wanting to appear incompetent or incapable.

What types of situations might prompt someone to say "This should be really easy but"?

This phrase is commonly used when encountering a task that was expected to be quick or simple, but ends up being more complex or time-consuming than anticipated. It can also be used when a task requires a certain skill or knowledge that the person does not possess.

Does using the phrase "This should be really easy but" reflect negatively on the speaker?

Not necessarily. While it may indicate that the task is more difficult than expected, it can also be seen as a way to acknowledge and address the challenge at hand. It may also show a willingness to learn and adapt to new situations.

Is there a better way to express frustration with a task that is "easy but" not actually easy?

Yes, using more specific language to describe the challenges or obstacles can be more effective in communicating the difficulty of the task. Instead of simply saying "this should be really easy but," try explaining what is causing the difficulty and ask for assistance or guidance if needed.