What are the bounds for this strange triple integral over the region E?

In summary, the region E is bounded by x=0, y=0, z=0, and 2x+2y+z=4. To integrate ydV over this region, the bounds for x and y are from 0 to 2, and the bounds for z are from 0 to 4-2x-2y. By fixing x, y can be integrated from 0 to 2-x, and by fixing x and y, z can be integrated from 0 to 4-2x-2y.
planck42

Homework Statement

[tex]{\int}{\int}{\int}ydV[/tex] over the region E, where E is bounded by x=0, y=0, z=0, and 2x+2y+z=4

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

Assuming that x and y must both be positive, which the boundary conditions seem to require, then the most either one can be is 2, so I have the bounds for x and y being from 0 to 2. Then for z, I guessed that 4-2x-2y is above the xy-plane(webMathematica's Three-Dimensional Visualizer doesn't make the picture any clearer), so the integration looks like so

[tex]{\int_0^2}{\int_0^2}{\int_0^{4-2x-2y}}ydzdxdy[/tex], which becomes
[tex]{\int_0^2}{\int_0^2}4y-2xy-2y^{2}dxdy[/tex] and then
[tex]{\int_0^2}4y-4y^{2}dy[/tex] and finally integrating to
[tex](2y^{2}-\frac{4}{3}y^{3})_{0}^{2}=-\frac{8}{3}[/tex], which puzzles me to no end. If I integrate above the xy-plane, I get a negative answer, and if I integrate below the xy-plane, I get a positive answer. Can somebody illuminate me on this nonsense?(I struggled to identify properly the bounds as may be clear to you)

Physics news on Phys.org
hi Planck42! :smile:
planck42 said:
Assuming that x and y must both be positive, which the boundary conditions seem to require, then the most either one can be is 2, so I have the bounds for x and y being from 0 to 2.

nooo :redface:

you can't integrate both x and y from 0 to 2 …

that would include x = y = 2, and then your z integral would be from 0 to -4, giving you a negative contribution! :rolleyes:

tiny-tim said:
hi Planck42! :smile:

nooo :redface:

you can't integrate both x and y from 0 to 2 …

that would include x = y = 2, and then your z integral would be from 0 to -4, giving you a negative contribution! :rolleyes:

That makes sense; but now I feel even more lost.

ok, start with integrating z from 0 to 4 …

for each fixed value of z, what does y go between? …

then for each fixed values of z and y, what does x go between? :wink:

tiny-tim said:
ok, start with integrating z from 0 to 4 …

for each fixed value of z, what does y go between? …

then for each fixed values of z and y, what does x go between? :wink:

I don't find it possible to answer both questions as there is only one boundary function.

Let's just suppose that x is going from 0 to 2(it should be equivalent to taking z from 0 to 4 if I do this right). Then for a fixed value of x, y should be [tex]\frac{4-z-2x}{2}[/tex]. For a fixed x and y, z should be 4-2x-2y. The problem I have with this is that if I find z for fixed x, I get a z that depends on y, and if I find y for fixed x, then that y is still dependent on z, so there's no acceptable way to arrange the integrals. There must be something that I am missing.

hi Planck42! :wink:

just pick 'em off one at a time …

x from 0 to 2;

for fixed x, y from 0 to 2 - x;

for fixed x and y, z from … ? :smile:

0 to 4-2x-2y. But how did you get y being from 0 to 2-x for fixed x only?

oh now i see what's been worrying you!

if you haven't fixed z, then it's for any value of z (and that includes z = 0, so the maximum for y is 2 - x) :wink:

1. What is a triple integral?

A triple integral is a mathematical concept that calculates the volume under a three-dimensional surface, similar to how a single integral calculates the area under a curve and a double integral calculates the volume under a two-dimensional surface. It is represented by three nested integrals and is often used in physics and engineering to solve problems involving three-dimensional objects.

2. Why is this triple integral considered strange?

This triple integral may be considered strange because it can involve complex calculations and may not have an intuitive interpretation. It also may appear daunting to those who are not familiar with advanced mathematics.

3. What are some real-world applications of this triple integral?

This triple integral has various applications in physics, such as calculating the mass of a three-dimensional object or the center of mass of a solid body. It is also used in engineering to solve problems related to fluid mechanics, heat transfer, and electromagnetism.

4. How do you solve a triple integral?

To solve a triple integral, you must first determine the bounds of the integral by setting up the limits for each variable. Then, you can use various integration techniques, such as substitution, to simplify the integral. Finally, you can evaluate the integral by plugging in the limits and solving the resulting expression.

5. Is there a difference between a triple integral and a triple integration?

No, the terms "triple integral" and "triple integration" are often used interchangeably and refer to the same concept. Both involve integrating a function over a three-dimensional region.