Trouble Remembering Physics Equation with x + 5 = y + 2 and x + 3 = y

• Thread starter Davi da Silva
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, this conversation is about the difference between A=>B and A<=>B. The first means that if A is true, B is true, while the second means that if A is true, B is true but B does not make A true.
Davi da Silva
i don't undestand this ⇔ on physics and math x + 5 = y + 2 ⇔ x + 3 = y i don't rember the physical equation that uses it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Davi da Silva said:
i don't undestand this ⇔ on physics and math x + 5 = y + 2 ⇔ x + 3 = y i don't rember the physical equation that uses it.

from my understanding...
it is saying what is on the left is the same as ( equivalent to) what is on the right of the sign

Davi da Silva said:
It means "if and only if". I.E. logical equivalence. The expression on the left is true if the expression on the right is true, and the expression on the left is true only if the expression on the right is true.

Likes davenn
Davi da Silva said:
In this particular example, if x+ 5= y+ 2 then subtracting 2 from both sides, x+ 3= y. Conversely, if x+ 3= y then adding 2 to both sides gives x+ 5= y+ 2. That is, if x+ 5= y+ 2 is true, then so is x+ 3= y and, conversely, if x+ 3= y is true then so is x+ 5= y+ 2. Each side implies the other.

Likes davenn
thanks guys :)

Well, I've learned something today. I shall most certainly be using this in maths, it will cut down on the amount of bull I write!

Just a slight addition: "y= 3=> y^2= 9" but it is NOT true that "y= 3 <=> y^2= 9" because it is not true that "y^2= 9=> y= 3". If y^2= 9 y itself may be 3 or -3.

DaleSpam said:
It means "if and only if". I.E. logical equivalence.
That was IFF on my analysis course. Is that not used any more?

HallsofIvy said:
Just a slight addition: "y= 3=> y^2= 9" but it is NOT true that "y= 3 <=> y^2= 9" because it is not true that "y^2= 9=> y= 3". If y^2= 9 y itself may be 3 or -3.

So am I right in thinking that A<=>B means that if A is true, B is true and vice versa whereas A=>B means if A is true, B is true but B does not make A true?

You could think left hand expression => right hand expression as left hand expression implies right hand expression
left hand expression <= right hand expression as left hand expression is implied by right hand expression
So left hand expression <=> right hand expression is LHE implies and is implied by RHE.

Likes NovicePWizzard
sophiecentaur said:
That was IFF on my analysis course. Is that not used any more?
I think both are used. It just depends on a particular authors preferences.

DaleSpam said:
I think both are used. It just depends on a particular authors preferences.
IFF you say so! :wink:

Likes DrewD

1. How do I solve equations with two variables?

To solve equations with two variables, you need to isolate one variable on one side of the equation by using algebraic operations like addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. In this case, you can start by subtracting x from both sides of the first equation, and then subtracting y from both sides of the second equation. This will give you two equations with only one variable on each side.

2. What is the purpose of the x and y variables in this equation?

The variables x and y represent the unknown quantities in the equations. They can take on any value that makes the equations true. By solving for their values, you can find the solution to the equations and determine the relationship between x and y.

3. Can I solve this equation without using algebraic operations?

No, algebraic operations are necessary to solve equations with multiple variables. These operations allow you to manipulate the equations and isolate the variables, making it easier to find their values. Other methods, such as graphing or using a calculator, may help in visualizing the solutions but they ultimately rely on algebraic principles.

4. How do I know if I have the correct solution to the equations?

To check if you have the correct solution, you can substitute the values of x and y into the original equations and see if they make the equations true. For example, if x = 1 and y = 3, then the first equation becomes 1 + 5 = 3 + 2, which is true. You can also graph the equations and see if the coordinates of the solution point satisfy both equations.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving equations with multiple variables?

Some common mistakes to avoid include not distributing numbers correctly, mixing up signs (+ and -), and not keeping track of the operations you perform on both sides of the equations. It's also important to double check your solution and make sure it satisfies both equations and follows any given restrictions, if applicable.