Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thistle + bulb Unidentified glassware

  1. Feb 17, 2013 #1
    I was cleaning up my lab and I came
    accross some quipment I've never seen before.

    The top looks like a
    thistle tube, but there is a closed bulb on the bottom. Furthermore,
    there is another glass piece inside of the stem. The piece inside of
    the stem is sealed on the top. It has an open at the bottom of the stem near the top of the

    I have two guesses....
    Some sort of wierd hydrometer that is filled with a liquid to measure
    relavite density of two liquids.

    If the small sealed portion inside heates up, the air will expand and
    bubble out of the tube. If it then cools down, it will suck up the
    liquid in the larger tube. This would sort of mechanically record the
    hotest tempearature that the bulb obtained.

    Another thought just occurred to me. Perhaps this is a cartesian diver. However, I don't think it could be completely submerged. The trapped volume of gas wouldn't overcome the weight of the glass.

    Attached Files:

    Last edited: Feb 17, 2013
  2. jcsd
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted