1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thomas' Calculus or Calculus : A Complete Course (Adams) ?

1. Sep 30, 2011 #1
    Hello

I am a physics student and for our first year we have a choice of 2 books for calculas:

Thomas' Calculas 12th edition
    George B. Thomas

Calculus : A Complete Course 7th edition
    Robert A. Adams

Our teacher says that Thomas' Calculas is simpler, and Amazon reviews for the previous versions of Calculus : A Complete Course say that it is overly simplified and dosen't explain proofs in full, so it is more suited for engineer majors; I don't know about the seventh edition. I have some background in Calculas as well (complex limits, riemann integrals, complex numbers, curves, Discrete Maths etc), but I still hate the words 'obviously' 'it is easy to understand that' etc.
    Science and math is based on proof, is it not?

As Einstien once said: "Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."

Thanks in advance
    trujafar

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted