Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thomas Hobbes on Sense

1. Jan 20, 2005 #1

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thomas Hobbes on "Sense"

Hi, I could use a hand with this.

I am not clear on how Thomas Hobbes (in Leviathan, Part I - Of Man) is explaining the cause of certain senses.

My book explains it this way:

"According to Hobbes, sensations are caused by the pressure of external objects on the sensory organs. In the case of taste and touch this pressure is direct, whereas in the case of hearing, vision and smell, the sensation is transmitted via motions in the surrounding air."

My question is: if Hobbes is saying that motions in the air are transmitting the sensation, does he mean that the motions are pushing particles in the air around and then those particles in turn strike the sensory organs causing the sensation? Does anyone understand what is meant by "mediation" in the passage below?

here's it is:
    Thanks,
    MIH :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 20, 2005 #2
    Mediation in this archaic context means the manner in which the nerves form the "middle man" between the exterior world and the perceptive centres of the mind.

His notion of 'motions in the air' should not be taken literally (the writing is rather verbose and poetic after all) but rather refers to his acknowledgement of the difference in nature between things we can perceive at a distance, and those we must be in direct contact with.

The mechanics of light and smell will not have been well known, if at all, in Hobbes' time, but in a very generalised way his manner of explaining them still holds true today.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2005
  4. Jan 20, 2005 #3

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks for your help - this is much clearer now. I had the wrong interpretation entirely.

5. Jan 20, 2005 #4

Les Sleeth

Gold Member

Hi MIH

The only thing Hobbes was exactly correct about is sound perception, which is a vibration that communicates itself as air pressure variations. The idea of pressure seems close since sense receptors need to be stimulated. Rather than pressure dependent, I think Hobbes would have done better to generalize sense experience as vibrationally dependent.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2005
  6. Jan 20, 2005 #5

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks, Les. Hobbes is my least favorite of all the reading I've had to do.

7. Jan 22, 2005 #6

honestrosewater

Gold Member

Yeah, I couldn't stand The Leviathan. His style makes me want to :yuck: .

8. Jan 22, 2005 #7

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

hee hee hee - yes, Rachel, I gotta agree. I am so OVER Hobbes. The only thing he's got going for him is that one of the "Calvin and Hobbes" characters was named for him, (I think). So he gets a "cool" point for that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?