Thomas Nast & the Collapse of the Tweed Ring

In summary, some people believe that Thomas Nast's cartoons played a role in the collapse of the Tweed Ring, while others feel that his cartoons were more effective in shifting public opinion.
scott_alexsk
It is a controversial issue of whether or not Thomas Nast's cartoons lead to the collapse of the Tweed ring. Some view him as a rasist and that the Times and Samuel Tilden did more, but others feel that he was able to effectively shift the opinion of the general population. I would like to see if there are any of your opinions on this subject. Most likely you are not going to understand any of this unless you have read into New York's history in depth.
-Scott

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmmm. I thought that would be the case. Has anyone read books set in the gilded age of America? The most recently written book on particularly Tweed was a book by Keneth Akerman, titled 'Boss Tweed.' Has anyone read it?
-Scott

I am slightly and vaguely familiar with the period froma having read excerpts of Mark Twain's The Gilded Age. I have seen pictures of some of Nast's cartoons, also. None of this is enough to offer an opinion on the degree of Nast's influence in shaping public opinion.

Yeah I have discovered that it is a pretty obscure topic. Though I would recommend reading Kenath Ackermans book. It just came out last year and provides a good description of the time period. Too bad all the current historians hate Thomas Nast:cry:. Except for two that I found. I am writing my thesis paper on him right now and I will post it when I am done. Hopefully it will shine some light on this area.
-Scott

I have just completed my thesis. I would appreciate it if you pardoned the incomplete parentheticals and bad grammer. All comments are welcomed (even the unwelcome ones).
Thanks,
Scott

View attachment Thomas Nast Paper.doc

Here is a better version (shorter and more gramically correct). Nast cartoons can be found at Harpweek. They show a couple good ones he did on Andrew Johnson.
Thanks,
-Scott
View attachment Thomas Nast Paper.doc
http://www.harpweek.com"

Last edited by a moderator:

1. Who is Thomas Nast and what is his role in the collapse of the Tweed Ring?

Thomas Nast was a political cartoonist in the late 19th century who played a significant role in exposing the corrupt practices of the Tweed Ring, a political group led by William "Boss" Tweed. Nast's political cartoons brought attention to the corruption and influenced public opinion, leading to the downfall of the Tweed Ring.

2. How did Thomas Nast's political cartoons contribute to the collapse of the Tweed Ring?

Nast's political cartoons were widely circulated and read by the public, making them a powerful tool in exposing the corruption of the Tweed Ring. His cartoons were satirical and often depicted Tweed and his associates in a negative light, making the public aware of their wrongdoings and ultimately leading to their downfall.

3. What impact did Thomas Nast's work have on American politics?

Thomas Nast's political cartoons had a significant impact on American politics. He helped to bring attention to corrupt practices and hold politicians accountable for their actions. His work also influenced the development of political cartoons as a powerful medium for social and political commentary.

4. How did the collapse of the Tweed Ring affect American society?

The collapse of the Tweed Ring had a major impact on American society. It showed that corruption and abuse of power could not go unchecked and that the public had the power to hold their leaders accountable. This event also led to reforms in the political system and efforts to combat corruption in government.

5. What lessons can be learned from Thomas Nast's work and the collapse of the Tweed Ring?

Thomas Nast's work and the collapse of the Tweed Ring serve as a reminder of the importance of a free press and the power of political satire in bringing about change. It also highlights the need for transparency and accountability in government and the role of the public in holding their leaders responsible for their actions.