Thompson cross section for protons?

In summary, there are various cross sections that can be calculated for scattering processes involving elementary particles, such as photons and free electrons. These calculations can be done using Feynman diagrams and Quantum Field Theory, as demonstrated in books like "Introduction to Elementary Particles" by David Griffiths. The cross section for an Iron atom can be calculated by multiplying the cross section of an electron by the number of electrons and protons in the atom. An analogy can be made to the Thomson cross section, as shown in the link provided. Thank you for the suggestion, and I am currently studying based on your recommendation.
Ali Karaman
I have read about "Thompson Cross section for free electrons"
My problem is there must be the other cross sections
photons are scattered by free electrons.
photons must be scattered by aka protons and as well by alpha particles.
Is there any defined cross sctions for the other particles as well as free electrons?
I have to understand this
Thanks to everybody

Physics news on Phys.org
Ali Karaman said:
I have read about "Thompson Cross section for free electrons"
My problem is there must be the other cross sections
photons are scattered by free electrons.
photons must be scattered by aka protons and as well by alpha particles.
Is there any defined cross sctions for the other particles as well as free electrons?
I have to understand this
Thanks to everybody

You can calculate cross sections for any scattering process that involves elementary particles using Feynman diagrams and Quantum Field Theory. A great introduction to this is in Griffiths, "Introduction to Elementary Particles" [1], where he develops an "illustrative" example called ABC theory to show you how to use Feynman diagrams.
Take a look into any book that introduces elementary particles.
Cheers,
Ryan

[1] David Griffiths, "Introduction to Elementary Particles," ISBN: 0471603864

Let me give a real example:
There is an Iron Atom: It consists 26 electons and 26 protons.
If an electron has a cross section 0.66E-28 m2
What would an Iron Atom has a cros section?
Maybe 52 times 0.66E-28m2 ?
This is the questions.
Can we make an analogy like in the link below?
http://scienceworld.wolfram.com/physics/ThomsonCrossSection.html
Thanks for the answer
I am studyin on your suggestion

1. What is the Thompson cross section for protons?

The Thompson cross section for protons is a measurement of the probability that a proton will scatter off an electron through electromagnetic interactions.

2. How is the Thompson cross section for protons calculated?

The Thompson cross section for protons is calculated using classical electrodynamics and the Rutherford scattering formula, which takes into account the size and charge of the proton.

3. What is the significance of the Thompson cross section for protons in nuclear physics?

The Thompson cross section for protons is important in understanding the properties and interactions of protons in nuclear physics, as well as in fields such as astrophysics and particle physics.

4. How does the Thompson cross section for protons differ from the Thompson cross section for electrons?

The Thompson cross section for protons is much smaller than the Thompson cross section for electrons, due to the much larger mass and charge of protons compared to electrons.

5. Can the Thompson cross section for protons be measured experimentally?

Yes, the Thompson cross section for protons can be measured experimentally using particle accelerators and detectors. These experiments can provide valuable information about the structure and behavior of protons.