1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thomson Model of the Atom

1. Sep 18, 2005 #1
    I am to explain whether the Thomson model of the atom fails at large scattering angles or at small ones...I obviously don't want the answer, but just some hints as to how I would determine this. Thanks in advance.

I know that the Thomson model predicts that there should be less than 1 degree of deflection for the alpha particles as they pass through the foil, and the Rutherford scattering formula shows that the number of particles that get deflected with respect to their scattering angle decreases as the scattering angle increases...so I am inclined to think that the Thomson model fails for large scattering angles...but the Rutherford formula clearly shows that most particles do get deflected at smaller angles, albeit not 1 degree...so isn't this agreeing with Thomson anyway? I am confused, please help.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2005 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think the question is asking: what observed scattering angles does the Thomson model fail to predict?

4. Sep 20, 2005 #3
    Anyone else? Please help, this is due this afternoon.
  5. Sep 20, 2005 #4

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It is not that difficult. If the Thomson model predicts small scattering angles and experiment shows that some alpha particles are deflected at small scattering angles, then it doesn't fail at small scattering angles. What the Thomson model does not predict or explain is an alpha particle scattering at large angles. Thomson's model, then, fails to predict the large angle scattering that was actually observed by Rutherford.

6. Nov 14, 2009 #5
    is any body having details of
    structure of atom
    thomas model of atom
    rutherford model of atom
    bohr model of atom
    atoms molecules
    valencies table
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?