Understanding Thomson Scattering for Non-Experts

In summary, the conversation is about seeking information on Thomson scattering for someone with no background in electrodynamics. The person is specifically interested in understanding the relationship between the incident and scattered photon frequencies. The provided link discusses the independence of the differential scattering cross-section from the incident wave frequency and the symmetry of forward and backward scattering. The link also states that the frequency of the scattered radiation is equal to that of the incident radiation. The person then asks for clarification on the relationship between the frequencies.
cscott
Can anybody provide me with information on thomson scattering for someone who hasn't done electrodynamics? I find ones like http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teaching/jk1/lectures/node85.html but I don't know anything about solid angles and the scattering cross section is confusing me. I'm specifically interested in being able to show that the frequency of the incident photon is equal to the frequency of the scattered photon.

Science news on Phys.org
In the link I provided they say

It is clear that the differential scattering cross section is independent of the frequency of the incident wave, and is also symmetric with respect to forward and backward scattering. The frequency of the scattered radiation is the same as that of the incident radiation.

Is the frequency of the scattered radiation equal to that of the incident radiation because the differential scattering cross-section is independent of the incident radiation?

No one? Isn't this standard undergrad physics :P

One more bump.

1. What is Thomson scattering?

Thomson scattering is a phenomenon in which particles, such as photons or electrons, scatter off of each other due to their electric fields. It is an important process in understanding the properties of matter and the behavior of light.

2. How does Thomson scattering work?

In Thomson scattering, an incoming particle, such as a photon, interacts with an electric field of a charged particle, causing it to change direction and energy. The scattered particle then emits a new photon with a different energy and direction, resulting in a scattered pattern.

3. What are the applications of Thomson scattering?

Thomson scattering has many applications in different fields, including plasma physics, astronomy, and medical imaging. It is used to understand the properties of materials, study the behavior of particles in space, and diagnose medical conditions.

4. What are the differences between Thomson scattering and other scattering processes?

Thomson scattering is different from other scattering processes, such as Rayleigh and Compton scattering, in terms of the size and energy of the particles involved. Thomson scattering involves small particles, such as photons and electrons, whereas Rayleigh and Compton scattering involve larger particles, such as atoms and molecules.

5. How is Thomson scattering used in research and experimentation?

Thomson scattering is an important tool in experimental science and is used in various research areas, including plasma physics, astrophysics, and materials science. It allows scientists to study the properties of particles and materials in a non-destructive way, providing valuable insights into the behavior of matter.