Thomson Scattering: What Is It?

In summary, the conversation is about understanding Thomson scattering and its cross section, as well as its relationship with the scattering angle and energy of the photon. The individual also mentions a polar plot and suggests moving the discussion to a Nuclear engineering forum.
Lisa!
Gold Member
Would you please explain more abot it?

Physics news on Phys.org
jtbell said:

Well, actually I had read them!:wink: I want to know more about its cross section and its relationship with the scattering angle and energy of photon!
here's a polar plot of it that I have drawn with Matlab but I just don't know why it looks this
way!
hmmm...Iguess it's better to be moved to Nuclear engineering form and I'd be grateful if you move it. Thanks:smile:

Attachments

• th polar.jpg
    th polar.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 414
Last edited by a moderator:
Google "Compton Scattering", which is Thomson scattering in the relativistic regime with Kline-Nishina corrections to the differential and total cross sections.

1. What is Thomson scattering?

Thomson scattering is a phenomenon in which electromagnetic radiation (such as light) is scattered by charged particles, typically electrons, in a material. It is named after physicist J. J. Thomson who first described it in the late 19th century.

2. How does Thomson scattering work?

Thomson scattering occurs when an electromagnetic wave interacts with an electron, causing the electron to oscillate and emit radiation in all directions. This scattered radiation can then be detected and analyzed to gain information about the material and its properties.

3. What is Thomson scattering used for?

Thomson scattering is commonly used in various fields of science and engineering, such as plasma physics, astrophysics, and materials science. It is also used in diagnostic techniques for studying materials and in remote sensing applications for studying atmospheric conditions.

4. How is Thomson scattering different from other types of scattering?

Thomson scattering is distinct from other types of scattering, such as Raman scattering and Compton scattering, in that it involves the interaction of electromagnetic radiation with free electrons. The scattered radiation in Thomson scattering has the same frequency as the incident radiation, while in other types of scattering the frequency may change.

5. What are some examples of Thomson scattering in action?

Thomson scattering can be observed in many natural and man-made processes. Examples include the blue color of the sky (caused by Thomson scattering of sunlight by gas molecules in the Earth's atmosphere) and the aurora borealis (caused by Thomson scattering of solar wind particles by Earth's magnetic field).