Where can I find chemical equations for Thorium?

• Thread starter cdhotfire
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemical
In summary, the individual is looking for chemical equations involving Thorium for a project and has not been successful in finding any. They are seeking suggestions for compounds containing Thorium and a websearch was suggested. The individual is unsure if they need a chemical reaction or thermophysical property and mentions some potential applications of Thorium.
cdhotfire
Anyone know where I could find a couple of chemical equations for Thorium. I need them for a project I am currently doing. I have not been able to find any.:uhh:
Thank you.:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know some compounds containing Thorium? That would be my first step.
(hint: do a websearch using keywords Thorium compounds)

http://www.webelements.com/webelements/elements/text/Th/key.html

As Ouabache indicated, one needs to specify the form and/or process in order to know what equation.

Is the interest in a chemical reaction, or thermophysical property?

Thoria is used as a nuclear fue, but also as an finely dispersed oxide for strengthening or modifying certain alloys, e.g. thoriated tungsten electrodes for welding.

1. What is thorium?

Thorium is a naturally occurring element with the chemical symbol Th and atomic number 90. It is a silvery-white metal that is slightly radioactive.

2. What are chemical equations?

Chemical equations are a symbolic representation of a chemical reaction, showing the reactants and products involved and the ratios in which they combine.

3. How is thorium used in chemical equations?

Thorium is commonly used as a reactant in chemical equations due to its ability to undergo various reactions and form different compounds. It is also used as a catalyst in some reactions.

4. What are the benefits of using thorium in chemical equations?

Thorium is a relatively safe and stable element, making it a desirable choice in chemical reactions. It also has a high energy density, making it useful in nuclear reactions and energy production.

5. Are there any potential hazards associated with using thorium in chemical equations?

While thorium itself is not highly radioactive or toxic, some of its compounds can be hazardous if proper safety precautions are not taken. It is important to handle and dispose of thorium compounds properly to minimize any potential risks.