Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Those Godless Communists

1. May 25, 2003 #1
    Wasn't the talk usually centered around fighting communism?
    I have a sneaky suspicion that for a great many people the true enemy was Atheism.

Let's talk about it...

2. jcsd
  3. May 25, 2003 #2
    Well, let's think about it. What did average people know about communism, besides the fact that it was godless? You couldn't really scare people in a post-WWII America with the idea that Soviets sacrificed individual profit for societal gains, since that is exactly what Americans did during the war.

4. May 25, 2003 #3
    Since I don't know much about history I need some information.

What communist leaders were surely atheists?

And also, just because they were atheists is why we actually went to war. So what specifically did they do that we declared war for?

5. May 25, 2003 #4

enigma

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm not sure about that...

I'd guess Lenin, Stalin, etc.

The rules over there stated that you had to be atheist by law (or at least organized religion was outlawed), so if someone wasn't an atheist, you didn't talk about it.

Uh. We never declared war with the Soviets.

6. May 25, 2003 #5

jb

we never declared war with the ussr...

7. May 25, 2003 #6

Eh

The US never actually went to war with the Soviets, only minor communist nations at the time. The issue in Korea and Vietnam was preventing the spread of communism, which the US viewed as being a threat to their own capitalist system. If those nations had been godless atheists who happened to be capitalists, the wars would have never been fought. Nor would the cold war have occured had Russia been an empire with a capitalist system.

As for atheist leaders, Stalin and Pot are usually are usually cited as the most noticeable. But you could probably assume the same for other communist leaders, especially in the Soviet Union. It was not just a system where religion was lacking, but state atheism was imposed.

8. May 25, 2003 #7

kat

From the 82nd congress, 2nd session:

"At this moment of our history the principles underlying our American Government and the American way of life are under attack by a system whose philosophy is at direct odds with our own. Our American Government is founded on the concept of the individuality and the dignity of the human being. Underlying this concept is the belief that the human person is important because he was created by God and endowed by Him with certain inalienable rights which no civil authority may usurp. The inclusion of God in our pledge therefore would further acknowledge the dependence of our people and our Government upon the moral directions of the Creator. At the same time it would serve to deny the atheistic and materialistic concepts of communism with its attendant subservience of the individual."

That was in 1954, in 1955 "in god we trust" was required for all united states national currency, and in 1956 "in God we trust" was declared our national motto.

It appears that it was aimed at avoiding, among other things, subservience of the Individual..haha..the irony eh?

9. May 25, 2003 #8
    The lore i think about it, the more I believe that teh Cold War had to be sold as a religious war. Nothing else would have convinced people to care.

10. May 25, 2003 #9
    I knew we didn't go to war with soviets. That's why I don't understand what communists we were fighting?

Also - man if atheism was required, boy I'd move there in a heart bit.

Anyone know any atheist-run countries that are alive today? I'll get a plane ticket today!

11. May 25, 2003 #10

kat

China, Cuba, and North Korea. Bye!

12. May 25, 2003 #11

Eh

Uh yeah, you might want to consider the "other stuff" about communism.

13. May 25, 2003 #12

drag

Science Advisor

Eh, Pot ?

14. May 25, 2003 #13

Drag smokes marijuana? Uh oh - better call the FUZZ!

15. May 25, 2003 #14
    Re: Re: Those Godless Communists

Wow, talk about a blast from the past! Where's a non-subservient type person supposed to turn for help now.

Yeah, they sure put god to good use back in the mid fifties.

That's what I'm doubting, actually. Try to imagine the installation of a not-to-friendly capitalist empire that had the audacity to be Atheists... I think a lot of people would have either been worried, or easily made that way.

16. May 25, 2003 #15

Eh

I doubt it, since money has more influence than religion ever will. The US government couldn't care less about an atheistic country, since they wouldn't poss a threat to the capitalist system. But if there was ever such a thing as religious communism, the US would likely still see it as a threat.

17. May 25, 2003 #16

I agree. I still don't understand why communists are enemies?

What is wrong about communism? Isn't it just that it turns into a dictatorship?

18. May 25, 2003 #17
    Actually the first statement there was historically incorrect. You said that you thought the true enemy was atheism BH, yet although communism was wrong they did allow religion but only their religion meaning all the other religions were persecuted so although communism is wrong, it wasnt a war against atheism.

19. May 25, 2003 #18
    And which religion did an atheist country have? That's an oxymoron, isn't it?

20. May 25, 2003 #19
    Did church teach you that?

21. May 25, 2003 #20

Probably not, since the Bible teaches that the rich should give away all their possesions to the poor, until everyone has teh same amount...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?