Uncovering the Secrets of Photons: From Heat Transfer to Black Matter

• Thread starter ExecNight
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Photons
Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle. The probability of a state is given by the square of the wave function. The wave function is a solution of the Schrodinger Equation. The wave function evolves according to the Hamiltonian which is the sum of the Kinetic Energy and the Potential Energy (plus some other stuff we can ignore here). The KE is the value of the momentum squared divided by twice the mass or in equation form p^2 / 2m. Well you know enough to understand that the square of any number is always positive, right? So the value of the wave function is always positive as long as the potential is positive (always repulsive) or 0 (no potential).So the
ExecNight
How about this..

Photons exists everywhere in universe..
And i mean everywhere..Think the universe is an aquarium filled with water to its limit..Thats what i mean..
It has a mass..

The question is how we couldn't find it yet?

Answer is quite simple, its equally spreaded so it has no gravitational effect in universe..No positive or negative charge..And photons are only used by heat, in the form of light.So that heat transfer occurs via these photons.And we see it as light..

Oh and black mater anyone?

A copper wire carrying electricity is a good example for this..The wire never moves or goes to lightspeed its there and standing still..Its the electricity that moves using the wire and unleashing its energy at the end..Good example of what i am trying to tell here..

Just thinking loudly, so any phsycian here want to tell me why i am wrong in a technical manner?

Science news on Phys.org
Photons don't exist everywhere like an aquarium. They are the result of definite electromagnetic phenomena which resulted in their creation. even if it is equally spread it does have a gravitational effect because energy is cumulative and GR accounts for this in the stress-energy tensor.

you never explained how black matter is related to electrons drifting in a wire. It's not electrivity that moves, it's current that flows. A flow of current is essentially a drift of electrons, but what we usually are interested in is the signal that the wire transmits, rather than the electrons themselves.

And photons aren't "used" only by heat. What do you mean "used"? Photons are part and parcel of all electromagnetic interactions.

And I'm not a physician (that means doctor), I'm a physicist in the sense that I study it at under-grad level.

photons existing in the cosmos flow BETWEEN atoms (gravitation tensor has 10 unique elements) or BETWEEN charges inside atoms (EM tensor has 6 unique elements) so we can conjecture that EM and GR are related.

What is the electromagnetic phenomena that resulted in the creation of photons? I'm very curious. (mostly just to masudr)

Photons are carriers of the electromagnetic force. So pretty much ANY electromagnetic interaction generates a photon.

Can light exist without Heat?

And please what does generate mean? It sounds like they pop up out of nowhere to join the electromagnetic interaction..

And oh electromagnetism can only occur with photons?

And i wonder something..Can everyone give a definition of photon here..Cuz i am pretty sure everyone's definiton differ's from others if not from same source..So pls let's try that here

ExecNight said:
Can light exist without Heat?
What do you mean by heat?

And please what does generate mean? It sounds like they pop up out of nowhere to join the electromagnetic interaction..

I would change a couple of words in that:

" It sounds like they pop up out of nowhere to CAUSE the electromagnetic interaction.."

The pop out of nowhere part is sort of correct if you understand that some physical event occurs ( .e.g an electron transitions to a lower energy level) which causes a photon to pop out of nowhere. Any physical event which contributes energy to the electromagnetic field causes a photon to be created.

I love new age science..

All those phenomena, poping up particles, things that can't be explained by our maths..

Sounds more like a religion to me nowadays..and i mean old fashion religion...

so photons ARE actually created during an electromagnetic event and carry the electromagnetic energy to wherever? Is that what you're saying.
If so, what is a photon?
Is it possible that the photon was inside the electron before it changed energy levels and was simply expelled? :confused:
Are photons ONLY used to convey light? If so, after the light is "dropped off" (meaning a photon strikes your body, leaves the energy known as light on you which is refracted to the eyes of others) what happens to the photon? Does it keep traveling through you, or does it hook up with your atoms and stays there, or is it bounced off of you to the eyes of others?

Last edited:
ExecNight said:
Can everyone give a definition of photon here..Cuz i am pretty sure everyone's definiton differ's from others if not from same source..So pls let's try that here
I'll try. A photon is electromagnetic change that moves through space at a constant speed and constant amplitude.

A change? What changes and what does the photon "carry"?

ExecNight said:
I love new age science..

All those phenomena, poping up particles, things that can't be explained by our maths..

Sounds more like a religion to me nowadays..and i mean old fashion religion...
You must realize that your lack of understanding, your lack of mathematical depth, does not translate into the same short comings in others. Perhaps if you were to make an effort to learn and understand modern Physics it would no longer seem like a religion to you. Everything I have attempted to present does have a mathematical foundation. Because I do not present it does not mean that it does not exist.

ZeAsYn51 said:
A change? What changes and what does the photon "carry"?
Electromagnetic amplitude changes. The photon carries itself :smile:

To answer an earlier question on what photons are, photons are a string of energy that possesses properties due to the amplitude of the string's vibration. This is, of course, based on superstring theory. Also, all subatomic particles are comprised of a string, or perhaps a combo of strings that give them their specific characteristics. :wink:

Last edited:
So integral share your wisdom with me please..

Yeah please explain if modern physicist believe in particles coming out of nowhere..Why they just don't sit back and say god created everything woow..Our universe poped out of nowhere..

Oh its unacceptable but some things may be acceptable..Cuz they fit in a theory..

Thats bull****..And when i say that, you call it lack of understanding, i call it logic..

There is much which you do not understand. Logic based of faulty premises yields nothing meaningful. GIGO.

You bet Physicist believe in particles popping out of nothing. I thought this was common knowledge?? I really cannot even begin to explain the concepts of electromagnetism and of photons when you do not understand even the every basic concepts, like energy. I could hand you an encyclopedia with the complete knowledge of mankind, but if it is not in a language you can read it is useless.

I you will do even a little searching and reading of threads in this forum you will find that your questions are quite common and have been answered over and over again. Why not put some effort into this and see what you can find.

hazarding a guess, photons bump into photons so there's a stochastic nature to the energy of deep space as well as the photons being expelled from atoms; does quantum theory say anything about photon-photon collisions in deep space?

tfleming said:
does quantum theory say anything about photon-photon collisions in deep space?
I think it is more that photons interact than collide. Think of a beebe moving under a sheet. The whole area of the ripple determines the future position of this photon and other photons in the area. The peak in the ripple has the greatist probability of photon interaction with a target. The probability diminishes exponentially with distance from the peak.

I'm not a QM expert, this is just my conjured up image of how the thing works.

All I want to see is facts built upon facts..All the science books you will give me..those which i won't be able to understand..will be theories built upon theories..Which ended up being noting but mathematical formulas..No practical use, no way to test it out..And no way to dump it you know..So what's the fight for..

See a guy can come out and say "Hey this is Monkey's Bang Bang Theory" give you some formulas and show you that..Look it connects the Gang Bang and Tam Tam Theory..And corrects some stupid flaws they had..

Anyway i am exaggaratin..Nevermind all those..

One simple question; Is photon a particle or electromagnetic bla bla?

Simple answer please..

ExecNight said:
All I want to see is facts built upon facts..All the science books you will give me..those which i won't be able to understand..will be theories built upon theories..Which ended up being noting but mathematical formulas..No practical use, no way to test it out..And no way to dump it you know..So what's the fight for..

See a guy can come out and say "Hey this is Monkey's Bang Bang Theory" give you some formulas and show you that..Look it connects the Gang Bang and Tam Tam Theory..And corrects some stupid flaws they had..

Anyway i am exaggaratin..Nevermind all those..

One simple question; Is photon a particle or electromagnetic bla bla?

Simple answer please..

a photon is electromagnetic energy, it can be a wave or a particle.. depending of what kind of experiment you do to measure it..
we can say a photon is a wave packet of energy, it has no mass, and it max speed is the speed of light.
If two high energy photons collide they are annihilated and a electron positron pair is created, this is how energy is converted into mass...

But you can't expect to see a photon flying in a test tube... and grab it and feel it in your hand. but you can do some experiments to study his properties..
Research on this:

Double slit experiment
Photoelectric effect
Black Body Radiation

Now after this scientific definition..I am wondering how much electromagnetic energy is my Zippo generating when i light it up..

a photon is electromagnetic energy, it can be a wave or a particle.. depending of what kind of experiment you do to measure it..

Ok how about this.. X can be 12 or 29 depending of what kind of f(x) you do to measure it..

we can say a photon is a wave packet of energy, it has no mass

How come something is a particle(!) if it has no mass? I always wondered that too..

ExecNight said:
How come something is a particle(!) if it has no mass? I always wondered that too..

Why not?...

Describing a photon with it’s particle and wave properties have been found to be useful. Even a large object like the Earth exhibits wave properties, for instance you’re body has an equivalent wavelength. I use to consider light as a particle and a wave. However I later moved on to describe a photons ‘movements by explaining the particle wave as a point singularity falling on itself threw space and time. But to do this I required adding another natural force which is not very apparent. Needless to say photons are very complicated things to explain.

1. What exactly are photons?

Photons are the fundamental particles of light and electromagnetic radiation. They are considered to be the carriers of electromagnetic force and have zero mass and no electric charge.

2. How are photons involved in heat transfer?

Photons play a crucial role in heat transfer through a process known as thermal radiation. This occurs when photons are emitted from a warm object and absorbed by a cooler object, transferring energy and causing the cooler object to heat up.

3. What is the significance of uncovering the secrets of photons?

Understanding the properties and behaviors of photons can help us better understand and manipulate light and electromagnetic radiation, leading to advancements in technologies such as solar cells, lasers, and communications.

4. How are photons related to dark matter?

Some theories propose that dark matter, which is an elusive form of matter that makes up a majority of the universe, may interact with photons. Studying the interactions between photons and dark matter could provide insights into the nature of dark matter.

5. What methods are used to study photons?

Scientists use a variety of methods to study photons, including experiments with lasers, particle accelerators, and telescopes. They also use mathematical models and simulations to understand the behavior of photons in different scenarios.