Thought experiment / paradox question

In summary, this set up allows you to measure the net spin of two targets without having to know the spin state of the electron beam itself.
NateTG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Let's say I start out with a (spin) neutral electron beam. Now, I can place an up/down Stein-Gerlach spin filter/detector in the beam so that I have a running tally of the "up" electrons, and a spin-down exit beam.
Since the measuring device is accumulating spin-up electrons, it should also be accumulating net spin-up.
Now, let's say I have a terminal for the beam, which splits the beam into left and right spin electrons using a Stein-Gerlach device, and takes counts of both. Now, the terminal is interacting with (what I expect to be) a roughly equal number of spin-up and spin-down electrons, so there should be no net accumulation of spin in the terminal.
This seems problematic because the filter is accumulating net spin without conservation of spin. What am I missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
NateTG said:
What am I missing?
The angular momentum in the magnetic field of the second apparatus.
For each individual |z+> -> |x+> transition, there is a transfer of Lz from the electron to the magnetic field ; and for each |z+> -> |x-> transition, there is an EQUAL transfer of Lz from the electron to the magnetic field.
Of course, for the |z+> -> |x+> transition, there was a positive contribution of Lx from the field to the electron, and for the |z+> -> |x-> transition, there was a negative contribution of Lx, so the Lx contribution averages out to 0, but not the Lz contribution.
There's a net flow of Lz momentum from the electron beam to the B-field (and hence to the magnet).
cheers,
Patrick.

Sure, that makes sense, but doesn't that lead to a problem because you could know the spin state in two dimensions for a bunch of electrons?
Let's say we have an EPR-like set up with an entangled electron source, and an up-down split count target on one side, and a left-right split target on the other. And, using timing we manage to restrict our runs to getting 5 electrons at a time. Then there's a 1 in 1024 chane that all the hits on the up/down detector will be up, and all the hits on the left-right detector will be right. Thus we would 'know' that all of the electrons that hit the up/down detector would have to have been up/left electrons, but those measurements don't commute, and thus be able to measure (and predict) the net spin of the targets?

Last edited:

1. What is a thought experiment?

A thought experiment is a mental exercise or hypothetical scenario used to explore the implications of a particular concept or idea. It allows scientists to consider the consequences of a theory without physically conducting an experiment in the real world.

2. How is a thought experiment different from a real experiment?

A thought experiment is purely theoretical and does not involve any physical or empirical testing. It is used to explore the implications of a concept or theory, while a real experiment involves conducting tests and gathering data in the physical world.

3. What is the purpose of a thought experiment?

The purpose of a thought experiment is to help scientists gain a deeper understanding of a concept or theory by considering its implications and potential consequences. It can also help to identify flaws or limitations in a theory.

4. What is a paradox question?

A paradox question is a type of thought experiment that presents a scenario that seems to contradict itself or defy common sense. It challenges people to think critically and consider the implications of different possible outcomes.

5. Why are thought experiments important in scientific research?

Thought experiments are an important tool in scientific research as they allow scientists to explore new ideas and theories, test the limits of existing theories, and identify potential flaws or gaps in current knowledge. They also help to stimulate critical thinking and creativity in problem-solving.