Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Thought experiment re speed of light / information

1. Dec 2, 2015 #1
    I've built a rod 186K miles long, of ultra-light, ultra-rigid material. I am on one end of the rod, and an observer is at the other end (we're both in the near vacuum of space). I want to send a signal to the observer on the other end of the rod signaling whether the Packers have won the superbowl - signal received, they won, no signal, they lost.

The packers win, so I bang my end of the rod with a fast and massive hammer (moving the rod quickly) and instantaneously / simultaneously on my end, there is a great flash of light sent towards the observer.

The light signal reaches the observer in about a second. What prevents the observer from seeing his / her end of the rod move in say 1/2 second? (No fair blaming compression of the rod or mass of the rod).

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

The signal will propagate in the rod at the speed of sound. There is no way to make this speed faster than the speed of light: on an atomic level, it is the electromagnetic force that propagates the momentum from atom to atom.

This is the 35323. thread about a perfectly rigid rod, and you can find the same answer (and more details) in all of them, there is no point in repeating the discussion again.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook