Speed of Light & Thought Exp: How to Send Info 186K Miles Instantly

In summary, a person has built a 186K mile long rod made of ultra-light and ultra-rigid material in space. They want to send a signal to an observer on the other end of the rod to indicate whether the Packers have won the Superbowl. The person bangs their end of the rod with a fast and massive hammer, causing a flash of light to be sent towards the observer. The signal reaches the observer in about a second, but the observer wonders why they do not see their end of the rod move sooner. The reason is that the signal can only propagate at the speed of sound, which cannot exceed the speed of light.
Stig Ramone
I've built a rod 186K miles long, of ultra-light, ultra-rigid material. I am on one end of the rod, and an observer is at the other end (we're both in the near vacuum of space). I want to send a signal to the observer on the other end of the rod signaling whether the Packers have won the superbowl - signal received, they won, no signal, they lost.

The packers win, so I bang my end of the rod with a fast and massive hammer (moving the rod quickly) and instantaneously / simultaneously on my end, there is a great flash of light sent towards the observer.

The light signal reaches the observer in about a second. What prevents the observer from seeing his / her end of the rod move in say 1/2 second? (No fair blaming compression of the rod or mass of the rod).

Physics news on Phys.org
The signal will propagate in the rod at the speed of sound. There is no way to make this speed faster than the speed of light: on an atomic level, it is the electromagnetic force that propagates the momentum from atom to atom.

This is the 35323. thread about a perfectly rigid rod, and you can find the same answer (and more details) in all of them, there is no point in repeating the discussion again.

1. What is the speed of light?

The speed of light is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second (or about 186,282 miles per second), and it is the fastest possible speed that any physical object can travel in the universe.

2. How is the speed of light measured?

The speed of light is measured using a variety of methods, including experiments with lasers and mirrors, measurements of the time it takes for light to travel between two points, and observations of the Doppler effect in light waves.

3. Can information really be sent 186,000 miles instantly?

While it is not possible to send information instantaneously, scientists have developed methods for sending information at the speed of light over long distances. This includes using fiber optic cables and satellite communication systems.

4. How does thought experiment relate to the speed of light?

A thought experiment is a theoretical exercise used by scientists to explore complex concepts and theories. In the case of the speed of light, thought experiments can help us understand how information can be transmitted quickly over long distances using the speed of light as a reference point.

5. Are there any limitations to the speed of light?

According to our current understanding of physics, the speed of light is the ultimate speed limit in the universe. Nothing can travel faster than the speed of light, and as objects approach this speed, they experience time dilation and other effects that make it impossible to exceed this limit.