Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thought Experiment

1. May 19, 2006 #1
    If we were to take the present Earth and set it into gravitational orbit around another star revolving at a rate of once every 92 Earth days, would the people in that orbit age faster, slower or at the same rate as those in the current Earth's orbit?

2. jcsd
  3. May 19, 2006 #2

dav2008

Gold Member

It would depend on if the Earth is orbiting slower or faster around the other sun. The relativistic effects would be pretty small though.

4. May 19, 2006 #3

EL

Science Advisor

The same rate. (Relativistic effects are completely negligible.)

5. May 19, 2006 #4
    Let me phrase my question. If we were to clone a copy of the Earth and set it into orbit around another star whose gravitational force caused the Earth Clone to revolve at a rate of once every 92 days (Original Earth revolves = 365 days; Earth Clone revolves = 92 Days) would the average rate of aging on the Earth Clone compare or contrast to the aging rate on the Original Earth?

6. May 19, 2006 #5
    Okay, that's what made the most logical sense to me.

7. May 19, 2006 #6

DaveC426913

Gold Member

This is the first thread I've ever seen that has more replies (4) than it does views (3).

8. May 19, 2006 #7

EL

Science Advisor

Let me ask you a question: Why would people age faster or slower just because they happen to live on the other planet?
    (Okay, in principle there may be small relativistic effects, but I guess that'll be something like seconds over a lifetime...that is completely negligible.)

9. May 21, 2006 #8

disregardthat

Science Advisor

i didnt think that astronomy had anything to do with peoples aging. i thought it was the oxygen after it had been used in the body (dont know what they are called in english) (maybe free radicals (i dont know)) that aged the body.

10. May 22, 2006 #9
    Well, after all your body is made of electrons and neutrons, and all other elemntary particles, and these particles are afected by the relativistic effect!

For example the twin paradox, it has something to do with aging.

11. May 22, 2006 #10

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

All those biological processes constitute a kind of clock, and clock rates are affected by relative speeds in special relativity and by gravity differences in general relativity.

12. May 23, 2006 #11

Phobos

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Note that even if there was a relativistic difference (I'm not doing the math on this but the speeds are so low that I'd say it's negligible in this example), the 2 subjects would notice no difference in their lifespan unless they tried to compare their aging to the other person (i.e., each would feel the passage of time 'normally').

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?