Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thought experiment

1. Oct 8, 2008 #1
    I had this really random idea at lunch today - would it be possible to pull an electron apart? I know that it's a fundemental (point) particle and that most likely nothing is going to happen here, but do you think anything exotic could happen, if one were to suspend an electron between three pairs of very powerful (orthogonally oriented) magnets? Might the electron emit high frequency radiation?

I'm sure someone will quickly point out an obvious flaw with this idea, such as the inability of magnetic fields to 'do work'.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2008 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Ignoring the notion that one can "pull an electron apart", how does "electron emit high frequency radiation" has anything to do with "pulling an electron apart"? We already know that we can generate EM radiation with electrons. After all, that's what synchrotron centers all over the world is doing. Does this mean that we have pulled electrons apart? That has no logical connection at all.

Zz.

4. Oct 8, 2008 #3
    As I said, it was just a random idea - totally baseless in every respect. I'm just curious as to what an electron 'does' when subjected to extremely intense magnetic fields.

5. Oct 8, 2008 #4

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

All charge particles, not just electrons, follow the Lorentz force equation.

Zz.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?