Who Would You Be After Death: The Revival Thought Experiment

In summary, people undergo clinical death, and are revived. Barring significant brain damage, they are the same person as before the traumatic event.

Would it be you?

• Yes

Votes: 8 88.9%
  • No

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters
atjta
OK, let's say you died. For the sake of simplicity let's say the cause of your death was just your life processes suddenly stopping. All your memories, etc., remained in your brain. Now let's say you were revived by some new tech. QuestionL would it be YOU who were now experiencing in the body or some new "experiencer"?

Physics news on Phys.org
What type of question is this? We are made up of our genetic make-up and experiences...nothing more.

atjta, I think you'll need to make a clear definition of "new experiencer" and why there would be one. Otherwise, we're not going to understand what you mean.

People do undergo clinical death, and they are revived. Barring significant brain damage, they are the same person as before the traumatic event. I don't know of any credible evidence that suggests otherwise.

Math Is Hard said:
People do undergo clinical death, and they are revived. Barring significant brain damage, they are the same person as before the traumatic event. I don't know of any credible evidence that suggests otherwise.

I think this is the same problem as the transporter problem - would a perfect copy of a person still have the same consciousness as the original?

I believe this boils down to the question of consciousness, which is unresolved, so there is no known correct answer. There is no way to know if the experiencer has changed or not; not even for the experiencer. For that matter, how do I know if my consciousness now is the same as it was two hours ago? Perhaps that person is for all practical purposes, dead, and I simply have the memory of it.

Math Is Hard said:

Bingo. Still me.

If it's your brain, then no matter what happens to it, it's still you. If all the processes in your body stopped for some arbitrary amount of time, and then started up again, the person that awakes would be the same person as before.

With the same memories and thought processes and whatnot, would you even be able to differentiate between the "new" person and the old?

I think the question has been sufficiently answered. Thanks, all.

1. What is the "Who Would You Be After Death" thought experiment?

The "Who Would You Be After Death" thought experiment is a hypothetical situation that explores the concept of revival after death. It poses the question of whether a person's identity and consciousness would remain the same if they were revived after death, or if they would be a completely different person.

2. Is this thought experiment based on any scientific evidence?

No, this thought experiment is purely hypothetical and does not have any scientific evidence to support it. It is a philosophical and ethical exploration of the concept of revival after death.

3. How does this thought experiment relate to scientific theories of consciousness?

This thought experiment raises questions about the nature of consciousness and how it may be affected by death and revival. It can be seen as a thought experiment that challenges scientific theories of consciousness and identity.

4. What are the potential implications of this thought experiment?

This thought experiment raises ethical and moral questions about the possibility of reviving a person after death and the impact it may have on their identity and relationships. It also brings up questions about the nature of death and the concept of an afterlife.

5. Can this thought experiment ever be tested?

No, this thought experiment is purely hypothetical and cannot be tested in a scientific manner. It is meant to provoke critical thinking and philosophical discussions about life, death, and identity.