Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thoughtexperiment: 0^(ia)

1. Jan 24, 2008 #1
    Can there be a definite solution for positive real values of a?

My musings so far:

[tex]0^{ix} = e^{ix\ln0} = (\cos x + i\sin x)^{\ln0} = ( \cos x + i\sin x )^{-\infty} = \left( e^{-\infty} \right)^\ln( \cos x + i\sin x ) } = 0^{\ln( \cos x + i\sin x )} [/tex]

Since 0^0 can be assigned to produce either 1 or 0 depending on the context and for non-zero real values 0^a is always zero, I'm wondering how to deal with this.

Consider the following:

[tex]0^0 = e^{0\ln 0} = \left( e^0 \right)^{\ln 0} = 1^{-\infty} = 1 [/tex]
    for [tex]1^a = 1[/tex] for all real numbers a

[tex]0^{a+bi} = e^{(a+bi)\ln0} = e^{a\ln0}(...) = \left (e^{-\infty} \right) ^a (...) = 0^a (...) = 0(...) = 0[/tex]
    for [tex]0^a = 0[/tex] for a belongs to non-zero real,
    hence 0 for all real a,b>0 combinations.

Please share your expertise!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2008 #2

Gib Z

Homework Helper

What are you asking :S? Are you asking why 0^0 is 0 is some cases and 1 in others?

My two cents; In your first line of working, we can get from the first term to the last term in almost one step, knowing exp(ix) = cos x + i sin x. That way, we can avoid dealing with your negative infinities :(

On the second line of working, same thing.

Rather than say [tex]e^{0 \ln 0[/tex], which has no meaning, take the limit as x ---> 0, of [tex]e^{x \ln x}[/tex]. If you have studied about the order of magnitude of functions, you will know that as x --> 0, f(x) = x goes to zero much faster than g(x) = ln x, goes to negative infinity. The limit is 1. And yes, once again, we avoid the infinites =]

I'm not too sure what happened in the third line of working, could you perhaps post that in full? Thanks
  4. Jan 25, 2008 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

First, 00 is not "0 in some cases" and "1 in others". 00 is not defined. Often we are really dealing with limits of the form f(x)g(x), f and g both having limit 0. In many useful cases, those limits are 0 or 1.

Second, your calculation breaks down as soon as you assert that [itex]ln(0)= -\infty[/itex]. That is also not true. ln(0) is not defined- it is no number at all. It is true that in the limit, as x goes to 0, ln(x) "goes to [itex]-\infty[/itex]", but you cannot say that it is equal to that. Once you start using "shorthand" as if it were the real thing, it's no surprise you run into difficulties.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?