Thoughtexperiment: 0^(ia)

• Thread starter intangible
  • Start date
In summary: I agree with the "two cents" that it is best to write out limits. That way you can SEE what you are doing, and if there is a problem you can see where it is. In this case, the "error" is in the first step. 0x is not 0 when x = 0. In summary, the calculation provided in the conversation for the value of 0^0 is flawed due to the incorrect use of shorthand notation and the disregard for limits. The value of 0^0 is not defined and depends on the context in which it is used. It is best to write out the limits in order to avoid errors.
intangible
Can there be a definite solution for positive real values of a?

My musings so far:

[tex]0^{ix} = e^{ix\ln0} = (\cos x + i\sin x)^{\ln0} = ( \cos x + i\sin x )^{-\infty} = \left( e^{-\infty} \right)^\ln( \cos x + i\sin x ) } = 0^{\ln( \cos x + i\sin x )} [/tex]

Since 0^0 can be assigned to produce either 1 or 0 depending on the context and for non-zero real values 0^a is always zero, I'm wondering how to deal with this.

Consider the following:

[tex]0^0 = e^{0\ln 0} = \left( e^0 \right)^{\ln 0} = 1^{-\infty} = 1 [/tex]
for [tex]1^a = 1[/tex] for all real numbers a

[tex]0^{a+bi} = e^{(a+bi)\ln0} = e^{a\ln0}(...) = \left (e^{-\infty} \right) ^a (...) = 0^a (...) = 0(...) = 0[/tex]
for [tex]0^a = 0[/tex] for a belongs to non-zero real,
hence 0 for all real a,b>0 combinations.

Please share your expertise!

Regards,
intangible

Mathematics news on Phys.org
What are you asking :S? Are you asking why 0^0 is 0 is some cases and 1 in others?

My two cents; In your first line of working, we can get from the first term to the last term in almost one step, knowing exp(ix) = cos x + i sin x. That way, we can avoid dealing with your negative infinities :(

On the second line of working, same thing.

Rather than say [tex]e^{0 \ln 0[/tex], which has no meaning, take the limit as x ---> 0, of [tex]e^{x \ln x}[/tex]. If you have studied about the order of magnitude of functions, you will know that as x --> 0, f(x) = x goes to zero much faster than g(x) = ln x, goes to negative infinity. The limit is 1. And yes, once again, we avoid the infinites =]

I'm not too sure what happened in the third line of working, could you perhaps post that in full? Thanks

First, 00 is not "0 in some cases" and "1 in others". 00 is not defined. Often we are really dealing with limits of the form f(x)g(x), f and g both having limit 0. In many useful cases, those limits are 0 or 1.

Second, your calculation breaks down as soon as you assert that [itex]ln(0)= -\infty[/itex]. That is also not true. ln(0) is not defined- it is no number at all. It is true that in the limit, as x goes to 0, ln(x) "goes to [itex]-\infty[/itex]", but you cannot say that it is equal to that. Once you start using "shorthand" as if it were the real thing, it's no surprise you run into difficulties.

1. What is the concept behind "Thoughtexperiment: 0^(ia)?"

The concept behind "Thoughtexperiment: 0^(ia)" is to explore the idea of what would happen if the number 0 was raised to the imaginary power of "ia" (where "i" represents the imaginary unit and "a" is a real number). This thought experiment allows us to think about how complex numbers and the concept of 0 interact in mathematics.

2. What is the mathematical result of 0^(ia)?

The mathematical result of 0^(ia) is not well-defined because any number raised to the power of 0 is equal to 1, and any number raised to the power of an imaginary number is a complex number. Therefore, 0^(ia) could be considered both 1 and a complex number simultaneously.

3. How does this thought experiment relate to real-world applications?

This thought experiment may not have direct applications in the real world, but it allows scientists and mathematicians to think about the properties of complex numbers and their interactions with other numbers. These ideas can then be applied to various fields, such as physics, engineering, and computer science.

4. Does 0^(ia) have any significance in mathematical theories?

There have been some theories and conjectures in mathematics that involve 0^(ia), such as the Riemann Hypothesis. However, the concept of 0^(ia) itself does not have a significant role in mathematical theories.

5. Can 0^(ia) be solved for a specific value?

No, 0^(ia) cannot be solved for a specific value because it is not well-defined. As mentioned earlier, it can be considered both 1 and a complex number, so there is no single value that it can be solved for.