Pursuing Astronomy After RTVF Degree: My Story

In summary, the conversation discusses the desire for a career change from working in the media industry to pursuing a degree and career in astronomy and physics. The individual already has a Bachelor's degree in Radio, TV, and Film and is considering going back to school for a second Bachelor's degree in physics before pursuing a Master's degree. They are seeking advice and resources from others who have made a similar transition. Several helpful links are provided for further guidance.
excelsior
Hello there! First post but I figure I'll get right into it. A lot of thoughts and I'd just like to see if anyone has done or seen anything similar. In 2006 I graduated with a BA in Radio, TV, & Film. I worked as a recording engineer (my initial career goal) for a few years, decided I liked eating and now for several years I've doing web support type stuff for a large music publisher. It's a job, but there really aren't any career paths in the media world proper that really interest me now. It's time I push things in a direction I want to go.

While in college, my love for physics and astronomy grew. The thought of switching paths occurred, but I still pursued the music/production route. No reason for regrets, as long as I take action. You get one chance on this Earth, and I'm at a point that a major career and life change is needed if I want to pursue things that are worthwhile to me.

The goal - Career wise, I'd love to work within the astronomical sciences, public outreach and/or education. The phd/research science is a route I'd really need to think about and if it'd be the right thing. I just don't rule anything out this early.

Since I have a bachelors already, I'd love to stroll into a masters program. Of course, a RTVF degree isn't exactly the road to graduate level physics work. This is why I'm considering going back and pursing a 2nd bachelors in physics and potentially graduate study. I'm sure a lot of my undergrad core work might transfer over, but I still need the math and physics foundation. Oh the math, I'll need a lot of work. It's been a few years and although it was in the Arts and Science dept., a media degree didn't require all that much. I'm in North Texas and surrounded by several universities, although most are physics programs with some astronomy. Not necessarily astronomy undergrad degrees. Of course I'm open to other institutions as well.

I suppose I'm just seeing if anyone else has done it or has advice for starting from a different field, how to prepare etc. I've heard advice from "go for it" to a 2nd Bachelors is moronic. I have no student debt (thanks mom, dad) but would need aid and try to figure out how to go back to school and work enough to live etc. Thanks, I'm excited and looking at a lot of options.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks, Lisa! I figured it had come up. I did a bit of searching. Great links!

1. Can I pursue a career in astronomy with an RTVF degree?

Yes, absolutely! While an astronomy degree may be more common among professional astronomers, having an RTVF degree can also open doors to careers in astronomy. Many skills learned in RTVF, such as communication and media production, are important in the field of astronomy.

2. What motivated you to pursue astronomy after earning your RTVF degree?

I have always been fascinated by space and the universe. While studying RTVF, I realized that I could combine my passion for astronomy with my skills in communication and media production to make a career in the field.

3. How did you bridge the gap between RTVF and astronomy?

I took advantage of opportunities to gain knowledge and experience in astronomy while studying RTVF. I took astronomy courses as electives and also participated in internships and research projects related to astronomy. Additionally, I networked with professionals in the field to learn more about the industry and potential career paths.

4. What challenges did you face while pursuing astronomy after your RTVF degree?

One of the main challenges I faced was the lack of formal education in astronomy. I had to put in extra effort to learn the necessary scientific concepts and terminology. Additionally, breaking into the industry without a traditional astronomy degree was a bit challenging, but my skills in communication and media production helped me stand out.

5. What advice do you have for those considering pursuing astronomy after an RTVF degree?

My advice would be to never give up on your dreams and passions. With determination and hard work, you can make a career in astronomy with an RTVF degree. Take advantage of opportunities to gain knowledge and experience in the field, and don't be afraid to network and seek guidance from professionals in the industry.