Exploring Light: Thoughts on Its Speed and Perception

In summary: The Mathematics of PhysicsIn summary, the photon does not have information about which slit it will go through, just as if it were running through a double-slit experiment. The photon does not "know" that either slit exists, just as if it were running through a double-slit experiment.
kfh
Hello all, this will be my first post on these forums though I've been lurking about for a while.

I was thinking to myself about light and the maximum speed of light, and I thought of the following:

A photon travels at 'c', the speed of light, in a vacuum.
If it were possible to be there, traveling at that speed, toward some point, 'p', the point would appear to be traveling toward you at lightspeed as well.

Upon thinking further, I realized that you would have no way to know where p is, or your relation to p, or to anything else for that matter. If indeed nothing can exceed the speed of light, you would have no way of having information about anything at all until you interacted with it, after which time of course it is too late to do anything about it.

I considered this in relation to the double-slit experiment, where you cannot know which slit a photon will "choose" to go through until it has done so. Thinking about it in this way, the photon itself does not "know" that either one, the other, or no slit exists at all. If the photon is restricted from this information, perhaps that is somehow reflected in our observation of it.

Anyway, I find this an interesting topic to think about. I'm merely an undergrad studying physics but I would like to know more about this particular topic. Can anyone shed some light on it, or recommend some good reading? Thanks!

Science news on Phys.org
Some good authors to read on the subject of neo physics
Michio Kaku
Brian Green
Paul Davis
John Gribbin

Some good books to read on physics
Physics for Dummies
Physics the Easy Way
Physic Demystified
A students guide to Maxwells equations
Quantum Mechanics, A physics adventure

Some good books on math
Idiots guide to Calculus
Calculus for Dummies
All the demystified books on math

1. What is the speed of light?

The speed of light is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second in a vacuum. This is known as the constant c in the famous equation E=mc^2.

2. How is the speed of light measured?

The speed of light is measured using a variety of techniques, including the use of lasers, mirrors, and detectors. One common method is to time how long it takes for a pulse of light to travel a known distance and then calculate the speed based on this time and distance.

3. Can the speed of light be exceeded?

Based on our current understanding of physics, the speed of light is considered to be the maximum speed at which anything can travel. This is known as the cosmic speed limit and is a fundamental principle in theories such as Einstein's theory of relativity.

4. How does light interact with matter?

Light can interact with matter in a variety of ways, depending on the properties of the matter and the type of light. Some common interactions include reflection, refraction, absorption, and scattering. These interactions are what allow us to see objects and colors in our everyday lives.

5. How do our brains perceive light?

Our brains perceive light through the use of specialized cells in our eyes called photoreceptors. These cells convert light into electrical signals that are sent to the brain through the optic nerve. The brain then interprets these signals to create our visual perception of the world around us.