1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thoughts balloon rocket launch

1. Oct 22, 2012 #1
    I have been thinking, weather balloons can go quite high (some up to 1000ft) so would it be possible to take 4 or 5 weather balloons and attach them to the corners of a frame. in the centre of the frame would be a rocket ready to launch at a set altitude. the only problem i can think of is would it be too cold for liquid flue to ignite at that altitude (so maybe solid flue?) any way what are your thoughts. if this idea has any merit then are there any people in the UK who would like to collaborate to get it off the ground so to speck?

Ryan

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2012 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  4. Oct 23, 2012 #3
    i did have a little look on the net but i came up empty
    thans
    Ryan

5. Oct 23, 2012 #4
    Launching from altitude saves on total fuel required to reach orbit. Balloons can go much higher than you indicate. But so far, taking an airplane ride for an air launch seems a better idea. A few systems have done that. They can be placed with more precision and they can impart an initial velocity in approximately the right direction.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook