Thoughts on a cloudy, rainy day

• Thread starter timejim
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Thoughts
In summary, the conversation revolves around the concept of coldness and its relation to the lack of heat in the absence of matter. The participants also discuss the behaviors of animals and the inability to understand the reasoning behind certain actions. The conversation also touches on the topic of body temperature and its perception of heat.
timejim
Sitting here on this cloudy, rainy day causes my mind to wander. In the voids of space, with no atmosphere, is it cold? If so, how? I thought cold was a measurment of AIR temperature; if no air, how could it be cold? Also, if Spring is nearing why don't I feel more enthusiastic about things? Also, why does a cat "krap" in its own yard while a dog will at least go to the neighbors yard and do its business?

Physics news on Phys.org
"coldness" is a measure of the lack of heat. Heat as far as you are concerned is usually only present when matter is present. So the lack of matter creates the lack of heat, thus making it "cold."

I think animals do certain things for territoriality.

but on the whole, i have no idea why things do the things they do!, physics only explain the "what is", nothing explains the "why".

Why can't i lie on the roof of my house in the blazing sunshine.

thats what i ask myself

i don't understand why when it is 25-30 degrees outside, we think its hot, and our body tells us its hot, when our body temperature is 37 degrees.

Originally posted by BLUE_CHIP

thats what i ask myself
OK. I'll bite.
Why can't you?

Originally posted by BLUE_CHIP

thats what i ask myself

Probably too many mosquitos. Or at least that's what happens down here in Florida (hate having to go onto roof)

1. What effect does a cloudy, rainy day have on our mood?

Studies have shown that a cloudy, rainy day can have a negative impact on our mood. The lack of sunlight and dreary weather can cause feelings of sadness and fatigue. However, some people may find the sound of rain calming and enjoy the cozy atmosphere it creates.

2. Why do we tend to feel more introspective on cloudy, rainy days?

Cloudy, rainy days often make us feel more introspective because we are forced to spend more time indoors and have less external stimuli. This can lead to deeper thoughts and self-reflection.

3. Is it true that our brain functions differently on cloudy, rainy days?

Yes, our brain does function differently on cloudy, rainy days. The lack of sunlight can affect the production of serotonin, a neurotransmitter that regulates mood and behavior. This can lead to changes in our thoughts and emotions.

4. Can cloudy, rainy days affect our productivity?

Cloudy, rainy days can have both positive and negative effects on our productivity. On one hand, the gloomy weather can make us feel tired and less motivated. On the other hand, the cozy atmosphere can also help us focus and be more productive in our indoor tasks.

5. How can we combat the negative effects of a cloudy, rainy day?

There are a few ways to combat the negative effects of a cloudy, rainy day. One way is to engage in activities that bring us joy and boost our mood, such as listening to music or spending time with loved ones. Another way is to make sure we get enough natural light, whether it's by sitting near a window or using a light therapy lamp.