Thoughts on a non-linear second order problem

Your Name]In summary, we can find a non-recursive, explicit formula for h(t) by using the initial conditions and integrating the given equation. The formula is h(t) = h_0 + v_0t - \ln(h_0+v_0t).
Someone2841
[itex]h''(t)=-\frac{1}{h(t)^2}, h(0) = h_0, h'(0)=v_0[/itex]

The first step is to, I think, reduce this to a fist-order problem:

[itex]h'(t)h''(t)=-h'(t)\frac{1}{h(t)^2}[/itex] --- Multiply both sides by h'(t)
[itex]h'(t)^2=\frac{1}{h(t)}+c_1[/itex] --- Integrate both sides
[itex]1/h'(t) = \sqrt{\frac{h(t)}{c_1 h(t)+1}}[/itex] --- Rearrange

I haven't seen this explained anywhere, but I'm fairly certain that for f = f(x), [itex]\int \frac{1}{f'}df = x + c[/itex] (could someone outline a proof/disproof for this? Please no ad verecundiam.) Therefore, integrating both sides with respect to h(t) gets a messy explicit formula for t(h):

[itex]t(h) = \int \sqrt{\frac{h}{c_1 h+1}} dh[/itex]

I am looking for a non-recursive, explicit formula for h(t). Any ideas? Is there a better approach than this one?

Thanks in advance!

P.S., here's my thought process for [itex]\int \frac{1}{f'}df = x + C[/itex]:

[itex]\frac{dx}{dy} = \frac{1}{\frac{dx}{dy}}[/itex]
[itex]\int \frac{1}{\frac{dx}{dy}} dy = \int 1 dx = x + C[/itex]

Even if this isn't valid, is it true?

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. It seems like you have made some good progress in solving this problem. However, I would like to suggest a different approach for finding a non-recursive, explicit formula for h(t). Instead of trying to integrate both sides with respect to h(t), we can use the initial conditions to solve for the constants in our solution.

First, let's rewrite the equation as:

h''(t) = -\frac{1}{h(t)^2}

Next, we can use the initial conditions to find the values of h(0) and h'(0):

h(0) = h_0
h'(0) = v_0

Now, let's substitute these values into our equation:

h''(0) = -\frac{1}{h(0)^2} = -\frac{1}{h_0^2}

We can use this to solve for h'(0):

h'(0) = v_0 = -h_0\sqrt{-h''(0)}

Now, we can substitute this into our equation to get:

h''(t) = -\frac{1}{h(t)^2} = -\frac{1}{(h_0+v_0t)^2}

We can integrate both sides with respect to t to get:

h'(t) = -\frac{1}{h_0+v_0t} + c

Using the initial condition h'(0) = v_0, we can solve for c:

c = v_0 + \frac{1}{h_0}

Finally, we can integrate once more to get the explicit formula for h(t):

h(t) = h_0 + v_0t - \ln(h_0+v_0t)

I hope this helps and please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns. Best of luck with your research!

What is a non-linear second order problem?

A non-linear second order problem is a mathematical problem that involves a function that is not directly proportional to its inputs, and also involves the second derivative of that function.

What makes non-linear second order problems challenging?

Non-linear second order problems are challenging because they often have multiple solutions or no solutions at all, and require advanced mathematical techniques to solve.

What are some real-world applications of non-linear second order problems?

Non-linear second order problems are commonly used in physics, engineering, and economics to model complex systems and phenomena such as fluid dynamics, electrical circuits, and population growth.

How do scientists approach solving non-linear second order problems?

Scientists use a variety of techniques, such as numerical methods and analytical methods, to solve non-linear second order problems. They also rely on computer simulations and experimentation to validate their solutions.

What are the benefits of studying non-linear second order problems?

Studying non-linear second order problems can lead to a deeper understanding of complex systems and phenomena, and can also help in developing more accurate models and predictions in various scientific fields.