Thoughts on Breakthrough Starshot?

• I
  • Thread starter greswd
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Thoughts
In summary, the disco ball sail is a research project that is still in its infancy. There are many problems that need to be solved before such a craft could be possible, let alone feasible. I do not think this is an realistic idea at this point.
Astronomy news on Phys.org
The "project" is at this point just a research project:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breakthrough_Starshot

They have a long way to go before such a thing will even be possible, much less feasible:
"According to The Economist, at least a dozen off-the-shelf technologies will need to improve by orders of magnitude.[18]"

Doesn't sound very realistic to me.

The problems with light sails are myriad and have been well publicized. See https://www.inverse.com/article/14246-5-big-questions-about-the-starshot-nanocraft-technology for discussion on some of these issues. It still looks like wishful thinking [emphasis on the wish part] to me. The concept appears feasible and probe costs could be manageable, but, the power issue still looms large: where will the trillion dollars for the laser come from?

Chronos said:
The problems with light sails are myriad and have been well publicized. See https://www.inverse.com/article/14246-5-big-questions-about-the-starshot-nanocraft-technology for discussion on some of these issues. It still looks like wishful thinking [emphasis on the wish part] to me. The concept appears feasible and probe costs could be manageable, but, the power issue still looms large: where will the trillion dollars for the laser come from?
Do you think a more durable craft equipped with a "slow burning" rocket thrust would be more feasible?

If 'feasible' means could it be done, then yes,
but then we are back to the problem that it would take decades to go the nearest star system.
Centuries to go anywhere that is seriously interesting.

rootone said:
If 'feasible' means could it be done, then yes,
but then we are back to the problem that it would take decades to go the nearest star system.
Centuries to go anywhere that is seriously interesting.
but if accelerated over a long period of time it could still reach a pretty fast speed.

Yes, but since it's going fast when it gets to the destination there isn't much time to collect interesting data.
The New Horizons probe though managed to collect a big set of data in a couple of days while passing through the Pluto system.

Likes greswd
I think the idea is severely constrained by energy demands. I have zero faith we could build, much less sustain a device of such power. The economics and politics just do not work for me.

Likes phinds and russ_watters
greswd said:
Now in the pop science news is about how "disco balls" could be the key to interstellar travel.
. . . .
What do you guys think of this project?
Another nutty idea. What power lasers and where are they located? On orbit? Problems with dispersion over 'long' distances. Sending back information from 4+ light-years away would seem infeasible. I would think a local star's radiation (and solar wind) would swamp any signal generated.

Statements like ". . . , sending back pictures of anything interesting once it arrived," are just silly.

Likes CalcNerd
Chronos said:
I think the idea is severely constrained by energy demands. I have zero faith we could build, much less sustain a device of such power. The economics and politics just do not work for me.
is that due to the low momentum-energy ratio of light?

The logistics and economics of building and powering a 100 gigawatt laser array would be enormous. And, as already noted, how will the probe transmit its data back to earth? I'm unaware of any technology, real or imagined, capable of such a feat. We aren't talking about a light day here, as in the case of the solar system, we are talking 4 light years. Bear in mind signal strength falls by the square of distance.

Chronos said:
The logistics and economics of building and powering a 100 gigawatt laser array would be enormous. And, as already noted, how will the probe transmit its data back to earth? I'm unaware of any technology, real or imagined, capable of such a feat. We aren't talking about a light day here, as in the case of the solar system, we are talking 4 light years. Bear in mind signal strength falls by the square of distance.

The Earth bound laser would be one of the minor problems. Traveling at 0.2 c, even a dust particle could cause major damage to a probe. If the probe were to reach Proxima Centauri the path loss for the transmission, assuming a transmit gain of 10 dB and a receive gain of 40 dB would be 292 dB. http://www.qsl.net/pa2ohh/jsffield.htm With a receive sensitivity of -130 dBm it would still need a transmit ERP of 162 dBm or 10^13 watts using a frequency of 74 MHz for minimum path loss. A power supply capable of supplying that amount of power would also be needed. Inasmuch as the probe would already have to have a power supply that large, it might as well be used to propel the probe with a laser pointed backwards. Nevertheless the probe would have a mass of many thousands of tons. Then there is the problem of dissipating that much heat in a vacuum.

skeptic2 said:
... the probe would already have to have a power supply that large, it might as well be used to propel the probe with a laser pointed backwards..
A very good point, and whilst not actually plausible, that concept eliminates some modes of power wastage.

I've always had a vision of a ring-like ship that has a powerful center generator that creates its own power, by simply rotating rapidly, causing electricity and immense power. The only time any other source needed would be on take off and landing.

Simply rotating does not generate power.
To generate electricity you need to be rotating in a magnetic field which itself is not rotating.

Last edited:
Likes davenn
Sorry, rotating was just the best word I could find to describe what I meant. Thanks for the clarification.

Chronos said:
Sure thing but the question is, does it has to because perhaps the whole Starshot is just a ruse to build a 100 GW Laser array . There are many more applications you can do with just shooting light-sails to other stars. Technically you can use it to light up anything that flies over. Or you can use it to transfer huge amount of power to orbital systems or planetary vessels traveling to other planets. I bet this is the true reason why they are so invested in this.

Still if they manage to build it, it will be quite the spectacle to send probes into outer space.

Hmm... I wonder what the aperture of that 100 GW Laser would have to be to avoid flashover. I've seen a large desktop size Laser support a sustained electrical arc in air when focused.

Tom.G said:
Hmm... I wonder what the aperture of that 100 GW Laser would have to be to avoid flashover. I've seen a large desktop size Laser support a sustained electrical arc in air when focused.

I assumed the lasers would be located in space.

Likes rootone and sophiecentaur
I read up on this a few months ago. I am pretty sure that they had in mind to build the 100 GW worth of laser power as a (phased?) array of ~10,000 10 Megawatt lasers on the ground. The sails themselves would weigh only of order a gram each. It was my understanding that, for the sail sizes they had in mind, this would require about an order of magnitude improvement in density. Similar improvements in reflectivity an miniturization of electronics would be necessary. I don't remember any mention of sending back pictures. If any communication were possible, I think the idea would be to modulate the reflected laser light. The idea being to more or less constantly send these probes and thus have a relay system for communication back to Earth (so it is only necessary to be able to communicate with the nearest functional sail, not directly with Earth).

edit: 1 Million 10 KW lasers, possibly pictures could be sent via the same relay system, besides advances in laser technology, cooling of the lasers could be trouble, as they should all fit into a few to a few hundred Km2, link to the Breakthrough Initiatives' forum where they have discussed some of the challenges: http://breakthroughinitiatives.org/challenges/3

Last edited:
IsometricPion said:
cooling of the lasers could be trouble, as they should all fit into a few to a few hundred Km2,...
A gigawatt per square kilometer is a kW/m2. The solar constant is 1.36 kW/m2.

2 lasers positioned next to each other would not be that much better than a laser on each of Earth's poles.

stefan r said:
A gigawatt per square kilometer is a kW/m2. The solar constant is 1.36 kW/m2.

2 lasers positioned next to each other would not be that much better than a laser on each of Earth's poles.
Although the amount of energy transmitted would be the same, the quality of the phased array central spot size will be negetively effected. According to this powerpoint presentation, there is something called the fill factor, which depend a lot on how close the lasers are position from each other. Only if they can manage a high fill factor, most of the enrgy can be focusted and therefore deliver effective force to the laser sail. The problem to achieving a high fill factor is that the phased array will not be able to supply powr to low elivations as there is simply noo room.
Lhewf2s.png

Attachments

• Lhewf2s.png
    Lhewf2s.png
    81.4 KB · Views: 464

1. What is Breakthrough Starshot?

Breakthrough Starshot is a research project launched by the Breakthrough Initiatives organization with the goal of sending a fleet of tiny spacecraft to the nearest star system, Alpha Centauri, within a span of 20 years. This initiative aims to explore the potential of interstellar travel using advanced technologies, such as laser propulsion and nanocrafts.

2. How does Breakthrough Starshot plan to achieve interstellar travel?

The proposed method for interstellar travel involves using a powerful laser array on Earth to propel a fleet of small, lightweight spacecraft called "nanocrafts" towards Alpha Centauri. These nanocrafts would have solar sails and be equipped with cameras and other scientific instruments to collect data and transmit it back to Earth.

3. What are the potential benefits of Breakthrough Starshot?

Breakthrough Starshot could open up a whole new realm of scientific exploration by allowing us to study and potentially even reach other star systems. This initiative could also lead to the development of new technologies and advancements in space travel, which could have practical applications for future missions.

4. What are the challenges and limitations of Breakthrough Starshot?

One of the main challenges of Breakthrough Starshot is the distance to Alpha Centauri, which is approximately 4.37 light years away. This means that the nanocrafts would need to travel at extremely high speeds to reach the star system within a reasonable timeframe. Additionally, there are technological and engineering hurdles that need to be overcome, such as designing and testing the nanocrafts and developing a powerful enough laser system.

5. What is the current status of Breakthrough Starshot?

As of now, Breakthrough Starshot is still in the early stages of research and development. The team has successfully tested the concept of laser propulsion and is currently working on developing the necessary technologies and overcoming challenges. It is estimated that it could take several decades before a successful mission to Alpha Centauri can be launched.