Fundamentalists/Atheists: Thoughts on Death

In summary, the conversation focused on the topic of death and whether the participants feared it or had accepted it. The concept of the afterlife was discussed, with some participants expressing their belief in it while others saw death as the end. Some viewed death as a peaceful release while others struggled with the finality of it. The idea of making the most out of one's life and leaving a legacy was also mentioned. The conversation also touched on fundamentalism and atheism, with some participants discussing the role of religion and science in understanding death and the purpose of existence.
DaveC426913 said:
Which as a rationale for some to have children. A form of immortality.

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work... I want to achieve it through not dying."
Woody Allen​

For myself... I know I have a finite duration; like pretty much everything else. This doesn't bother me. I know it doesn't bother me because about ten years ago I was given about six months to live -- a preliminary tentative diagnosis which turned out to be incorrect. I did not freak out at the time and I don't expect to freak out if I get a more reliable early indicator of time of death either. I enjoy living and want to keep doing it; but I can't really imagine it going on forever. I think that really would make things in the here and now pointless.

I really don't get the people who say that nothing matters if you are going to die eventually. I consider it to be just the reverse.

Cheers -- sylas

Physics news on Phys.org
binbots said:
Maybe we evolved sleep to prepare us better for death. DMT anyone?

I have done some research on DMT, and let me tell you this chemical is fascinating. I understand that when we die, our brain is flooded by DMT and also when we sleep the brain releases DMT. I read a theory that maybe DMT is a connection of different dimensions for example when we dream, we might be actually living in different dimensions and when we die, perhaps we go to another dimension/dream forever or until we die again.

I didnt mean to go off-topic or propose anything without much evidence, but when I read this theory I found it very interesting...

Marco12 said:
I read a theory that maybe DMT is a connection of different dimensions for example when we dream, we might be actually living in different dimensions and when we die, perhaps we go to another dimension/dream forever or until we die again.

I didnt mean to go off-topic or propose anything without much evidence, but when I read this theory I found it very interesting...

I don't think we want to go in this direction. This is far too vague and speculative, even for the Philosophy forum.