Thoughts on death

• Thread starter Marco12
  • Start date
Ooh so I get to dream? :rolleyes:

Wouldn't quite put it on par.
People have dreams all the time, but it's not always the case that they are aware of them. Perhaps a more real experience of death, and live to tell the tale, would be to go under a general anesthetic.

The net effect is that there is a gap in your life for a few hours that you are unconscious. You have absolutely no memories of anything that has happened to you in that time.

Thoughts on death, eh?

Well, hakuna matata I suppose.

The approach I take on the philosophy of death is through fractals, chaos, ecology, non-equilibrium thermodynamics, and dissipative structures.

Dissipative structures are complex structures that arise from disorder due to a flow of energy. A good example of this is a whirlpool forming on a river. The flow of water molecules down stream is disordered, but when they hit an obstruction such as a rock, a whirlpool forms. One can conclude that the circular shape of the whirlpool funnel is now more organized than just a mere flow of water down stream.

It is the same with a cell, which can described as a stable structure of molecules that forms due the flow of chemical energy between them, just like a whirlpool on a river, but it's much more complicated and richer.

And so you build on complexity more and more. Cells form higher order organisms, worms, insects, and animals. And in each level in the hierarchy there is a transfer of energy which powers the next level of complexity. Kind of like whirlpools within whirlpools, or zooming out of a Mandelbrot set.

Eventually, by compounding this build up of complexity many times over, humans emerge with their big brains endowed with enough degrees of freedom to begin describing the world. A small of part of world is reflected and encoded in the vast neural network in the brain. That's again like zooming in the Mandelbrot set.

This system is sustained by a constant flow of energy which comes from the sun: light through photosynthesis give energy to plants, plants give energy to herbivore animals that eat them, and other animals eat other animals for those highly prized energy contents, and then humans eat plants and animals for same reason.

And so when you die, that's like putting a stopper in the bathtub. The whirlpool disappears and scatters its molecules into the immediate surroundings. In case of life, the molecules of your body diffuse into the environment for use by other dissipative structures such as bacteria, or bugs that feed on your left over energy contents.

Last edited:
FlexGunship
Gold Member
When you go to sleep you expect to wake up.
Well, someone has high expectations! When I go to sleep, I expect to lose consciousness. It's all a speculative gamble after that!

EDIT: In fact, when I wake up each morning I'm thinking: "well, not the best possible outcome, but definitely not bad."

I beleive man has a soul and that that soul will live on..... my physical body is just a container which has an expiration date. Once my physical body has died my soul will live. I'm not so much afraid of death but how I will die... I'm hoping that i will die peacefully in my sleep...

I try not to focus on death but on the fact that I am alive! I'M ALIVE! I'M ALIVE! I'M ALIVE!

Maybe we evolved sleep to prepare us better for death. DMT anyone?

I'm an idealist, I don't believe in death. If you have fear of death just watch Dan Osman climbing and learn to enjoy every second of life, no matter how close the death is.

I beleive man has a soul and that that soul will live on..... my physical body is just a container which has an expiration date. Once my physical body has died my soul will live. I'm not so much afraid of death but how I will die... I'm hoping that i will die peacefully in my sleep...

I try not to focus on death but on the fact that I am alive! I'M ALIVE! I'M ALIVE! I'M ALIVE!
Souls, don't get me started.

Where'd you pluck this beauty from?

DaveC426913
Gold Member
... I'm hoping that i will die peacefully in my sleep...
I want to die peacefully in my sleep too. Like grandpa did.

Not kicking and screaming like his passengers in the back seat.

I find it amazing how many people subscribe to this trail of thought.

I personally see no reason for there to be a 'purpose'. I am yet to here a convincing argument for there to be one. All I hear is people saying "there must be", they never give an actual reason that goes beyond their own personal need for there to be one.
to be free.freedom from suffering which is life.of course we dont know wether its possible.but that would be a purpose.
if you believe we came from nothing then we can assume we going back there.no purpose other than what we make it.but that is a man made purpose .so its debatable wether thats worth jack ****.
nirvana which is freedom is a funny idea ,and i cant work out wether it needs a creator.or wether it can mean there is no begining to anything(so no need for creator crap) and yet nirvana seems to suggest a end,but i have thought this can not be the case ,otherwise when we all reach it what then.we stuck at a end to everything.problem.!
however we can not get away from the fact that nirvana does give life a real purpose beyond man made purpose.because nirvana is a state if you like or something .that is not created by us.and it has meaning in that all people want to be free.
however if you look in to it ,it is hard not to always come back to nothing.as though nirvana is actaully nothing.
because you can not define or understand nirvana not even slightly,you can not imagine it.
so its easy to say what isnt nirvana in a way,but this is a reduction or elimination. process which seems to lead to nothing.very annoying.

sylas
Science Advisor
Which as a rationale for some to have children. A form of immortality.
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work... I want to achieve it through not dying."
Woody Allen​

For myself... I know I have a finite duration; like pretty much everything else. This doesn't bother me. I know it doesn't bother me because about ten years ago I was given about six months to live -- a preliminary tentative diagnosis which turned out to be incorrect. I did not freak out at the time and I don't expect to freak out if I get a more reliable early indicator of time of death either. I enjoy living and want to keep doing it; but I can't really imagine it going on forever. I think that really would make things in the here and now pointless.

I really don't get the people who say that nothing matters if you are going to die eventually. I consider it to be just the reverse.

Cheers -- sylas

I have done some research on DMT, and let me tell you this chemical is fascinating. I understand that when we die, our brain is flooded by DMT and also when we sleep the brain releases DMT. I read a theory that maybe DMT is a connection of different dimensions for example when we dream, we might be actually living in different dimensions and when we die, perhaps we go to another dimension/dream forever or until we die again.

I didnt mean to go off-topic or propose anything without much evidence, but when I read this theory I found it very interesting...

Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I read a theory that maybe DMT is a connection of different dimensions for example when we dream, we might be actually living in different dimensions and when we die, perhaps we go to another dimension/dream forever or until we die again.

I didnt mean to go off-topic or propose anything without much evidence, but when I read this theory I found it very interesting...
I don't think we want to go in this direction. This is far too vague and speculative, even for the Philosophy forum.