Kumon Reviews: Is it Helpful & Best Age Group?

• Thread starter fuzzyfelt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Thoughts
In summary, the conversation discusses the effectiveness of the Kumon method for young children and whether or not it is helpful or demanding. The speaker shares their personal experience working at a Kumon center and concludes that it may only be useful for remedial purposes and not for bright students. They also mention the peer pressure to use Kumon and the importance of waiting to see how the child does in school before considering it.
fuzzyfelt
Gold Member
Not sure if this is the right place to post, but wonder what thoughts there are on kumon- helpful, demanding?... and if good, best for which age group? My 4 year old starts school in Sept.

Physics news on Phys.org
When I was in college, I worked at a center that taught the Kumon method (summer job for me). I wasn't impressed. It focused a lot on just rote memorization. The reading part was helpful to the kids there who were learning English as a second language just to build their vocabulary, but for a kid in an English-speaking household, I think it would have been useless.

At the center where I taught, we actually departed from the Kumon method to teach a higher level of English using a more standard textbook (I taught that class and was entirely in charge of the lesson plan, because the woman who ran the center wanted her daughter to learn more than she was with the Kumon method because she hadn't done well in English during the previous school year, so started up a different class just for a few kids at that grade level).

I wouldn't use it for anything more than remediation if a kid is doing very poorly in learning vocabulary, spelling, or basic arithmetic. A bright kid would be bored to death!

Thanks Moonbear,
There is a bit a peer pressure to use it, but now that makes sense as many of his friends aren't from English speaking households.
I'm very interested to hear your thoughts. It sounds as if it would be much better to wait and see how he gets on at school, first, before even considering it, and hope I can help him to enjoy learning and understanding instead.

1. Is Kumon suitable for all age groups?

Yes, Kumon is suitable for all age groups, from preschoolers to high school students.

2. How does Kumon help with academic performance?

Kumon helps students improve their academic performance by providing individualized instruction and practice in math and reading skills.

3. Is Kumon helpful for struggling students?

Yes, Kumon can be helpful for struggling students as it provides a structured and personalized approach to learning that can help build a strong foundation in math and reading.

4. How does Kumon compare to other tutoring programs?

Kumon is different from other tutoring programs in that it focuses on self-learning and mastery of fundamental skills, rather than just helping with homework or test preparation. However, it may not be the best fit for every student.

5. Are there any drawbacks to using Kumon?

One potential drawback of Kumon is the high cost, as it can be expensive compared to other tutoring options. Additionally, some students may find the program too repetitive or challenging, leading to burnout or frustration.