Thoughts on MIT OpenCourseWare

In summary, the individual is considering pursuing a MSME or MSEE after receiving a BSMET and has met with the ME and EE departments at their undergraduate institution to discuss course deficiencies. They are currently taking calc 2 for a refresher and plan to take calc 3, but have discovered that some of the required courses are offered on MIT OCW. They are wondering if they can self-study and absorb the knowledge from OCW and not have to retake the course at a college, but are unsure if this would be accepted by a graduate program. They plan to check with the departments for more information.
Aero12
Hey all,

I've had some posts in the past related to pursuing a MSME or MSEE after receiving a BSMET. I've met with the ME and EE departments at my undergrad and they've given me a good idea of the course deficiencies I would need to make up. Since my BS was in Engineering Technology, I'm in the process of taking some of the calc that I missed out on to start with. I'm currently taking calc 2 for a refresher, and then planned on taking calc 3 (multivariable, which I never took in my MET program). I recently stumbled upon MIT OCW and have found that some of the courses I need to take are offered on OCW with full content and information from an actual class - everything I would need is there.

That said, if during the application process a grad program looked at my undergrad background and didn't see an official grade for, say, calc 3, but I absorbed all the knowledge through OCW self study, would they most likely make me retake it at a college? I know sometimes courses can be waived through job experience, so I don't see how this would be any different. I could take it in the spring but would like to save the money if possible. However I don't want to not take it officially if I need to. Ultimately I'll check sometime soon with the departments I had spoken with earlier. In the meantime...thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
Aero12 said:
That said, if during the application process a grad program looked at my undergrad background and didn't see an official grade for, say, calc 3, but I absorbed all the knowledge through OCW self study, would they most likely make me retake it at a college?

If it's a required course, yes they would. However, these things tend to be very negotiable, so you might be able to work something out with the department.

could take it in the spring but would like to save the money if possible.

Any money you save is money that the college loses. If you remember that, this will go a long way into understanding why the rules are what they are.

1. What is MIT OpenCourseWare?

MIT OpenCourseWare (OCW) is an online platform that provides free and open access to course materials from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT). This includes lecture notes, assignments, exams, and other resources for a wide range of courses.

2. Who can access MIT OpenCourseWare?

MIT OpenCourseWare is available to anyone with internet access, regardless of age, location, or educational background.

3. Are there any fees associated with MIT OpenCourseWare?

No, all course materials on MIT OpenCourseWare are available for free and there are no fees or subscriptions required to access them.

4. Can I earn a degree from MIT through OpenCourseWare?

No, MIT OpenCourseWare does not offer degrees or certificates. It is designed as a resource for self-learners, educators, and students to supplement their education.

5. Is MIT OpenCourseWare a reputable source of education?

Yes, MIT OpenCourseWare is an established and reputable source of education. All materials are created by MIT faculty and are regularly reviewed and updated to maintain quality and accuracy.