Exploring Tenet: A Film Worth Watching?

• Thread starter etotheipi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Thoughts
In summary, Tenet is a time-bending thriller film directed by Christopher Nolan that explores the mathematical symmetry of physical laws under the transformation t -> -t. The film includes hints about parity and references to physicist Thorne. Despite the love interest being criticized, the film's practical effects and complexity have been praised. The film has been described as "fun magic physics" and has faced financial losses, potentially due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The concept of negative entropy is portrayed in the film, but it is not grounded in actual physics. The film has received mixed reviews, with some viewers finding it confusing and others enjoying its unique ideas.
etotheipi
Anyone going to see it?

Likes Frigus
Physics news on Phys.org
let's stick to physics please, eto ;)

• Haha
Likes atyy and etotheipi
charminglystrange said:
let's stick to physics please, eto ;)

Little known is that this film is actually just Christopher Nolan standing in front of a whiteboard for two hours explaining the mathematical symmetry of physical laws under the transformation ##t \rightarrow -t## in incredibly fine detail, marketed as a "time-bending thriller movie"...

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes atyy
Saw it two days ago. Besides T -> -T, I think there are some hints about Parity:

- Road actions happens both in UK and Continental Europe, and that a car driving in the left side of the road under temporal inversion becomes a car driving in the right side.
- Spoiler: Annihilation of self and anti-self happens in a special room where you see yourself mirrored, but it is actually your anti-self
- Sea action happens in the sea area where Majorana dissapeared.

Likes atyy and etotheipi
Now, I wonder if Thorne has expressed some opinion about the film.

Likes etotheipi
I hear that after its theatrical run, they'll start production on it.

Likes sysprog and atyy
Now, I hope they publish a "Nature cut version" of the film, all scenes going in the majoritary arrow of time, instead of the Protagonist timeframe.

Likes etotheipi
Saw the 70mm version at the local cinema with my partner. While we both found the love interest flimsy and forced, we really enjoyed the rest a lot. Definitely a movie we will be watching again several times.

I am delighted film makers like Nolan are around, that make interesting films with lots of practical effects.

Likes etotheipi
Tenet is already available in blu-rays and platforms so you can get them online.

I just watched it and my head spinning.

It may be one of the most incredible movies of the century. Christopher Nolan thought about it for 5 years or more and have probably discussed with physicists. I think it can help M-theory a lot because it injects new ideas and can help funding that needs billion dollars to involve all countries scientific institutions for years to come.

The movie is so complex (like M-theory) I don't understand it.

It involves negative entropy. There was a scene where two armies are fighting each other. One involves normal entropy, the other involves reverse entropy. Can anyone please explains the physics of it, because I just can't figure it out. Thank you.

jake jot said:
It involves negative entropy. There was a scene where two armies are fighting each other. One involves normal entropy, the other involves reverse entropy. Can anyone please explains the physics of it, because I just can't figure it out. Thank you.

As Laura said, "don't try to understand it, feel it" :wink:... in other words, the film is not grounded in actual Physics.

Although a system that can exchange matter, work and heat with its surroundings can undergo a negative change in entropy, that's not at all what's portrayed.

Likes Jarvis323
etotheipi said:
As Laura said, "don't try to understand it, feel it" :wink:... in other words, the film is not grounded in actual Physics.

Although a system that can exchange matter, work and heat with its surroundings can undergo a negative change in entropy, that's not at all what's portrayed.

You have a point. Negative entropy doesn't imply reverse time travel.

But there is one thing I can't understand. There were many fight or battle scenes in the movies. So let's take the case of 2 boxers. One use positive entropy, one use negative entropy. Let's say no time travel or time manipulation is involved. How can they punch each other when one is using positive and negative entropy? If someone can explain these. Then it can make a lot of scenes make sense.

I couldn't understand these so I paused halfway the movie and slept. But then I remembered M-theory and tried to watch til the end.

The movie is said to suffer more than $100 million losses. I wonder if it's the choice of actors or because of covid.

The physics of it is basically pure magic as far as I'm concerned, but it's fun magic!

jake jot said:
The movie is said to suffer more than $100 million losses. I wonder if it's the choice of actors or because of covid.

Here it was only shown at one theater IIRC, and due to COVID-19 each group of related people had to have two seats empty on either side, as well as no one in front or behind. I recon about 30% of max capacity in practice. So regardless of merit that must have been a huge blow.

Lord Crc said:
The physics of it is basically pure magic as far as I'm concerned, but it's fun magic!

Yes fun magic physics. So if your expensive vase fell down and break. And you apply reverse entropy, it can make the vase whole again? But not only can you make the vase whole again, you can raise the dead too, right? But in the movie, why is the dead not risen? what Tenet physics prevent that?

Here it was only shown at one theater IIRC, and due to COVID-19 each group of related people had to have two seats empty on either side, as well as no one in front or behind. I recon about 30% of max capacity in practice. So regardless of merit that must have been a huge blow.

No issues with the stars? The leading lady was 7 feet tall. And the black man. If they chose Brat Pitt and Nicole Kidman, won't it become box office hit? But you are right, the COVID may be the main factor?

1. What is "Exploring Tenet" about?

"Exploring Tenet" is a film analysis that delves into the complex and mind-bending world of Christopher Nolan's movie, "Tenet". It explores the themes, plot, and characters in detail, providing insights and interpretations for viewers.

2. Is "Exploring Tenet" a sequel or prequel to the movie?

No, "Exploring Tenet" is not a sequel or prequel to the movie. It is an independent analysis and review of the film.

3. Who is the target audience for "Exploring Tenet"?

The target audience for "Exploring Tenet" is anyone who has watched the movie and is interested in gaining a deeper understanding of its intricacies and hidden meanings. It is also suitable for those who have not seen the film but are curious about its themes and concepts.

4. Will "Exploring Tenet" contain spoilers?

Yes, "Exploring Tenet" will contain spoilers for the movie. It is recommended to watch the film before reading or watching any analysis or reviews.

5. What makes "Exploring Tenet" worth watching?

"Exploring Tenet" is worth watching because it provides a comprehensive and thought-provoking analysis of the film. It offers unique perspectives and interpretations that can enhance the viewing experience and deepen the appreciation for the movie.