Is the new favicon for Physics Forums an improvement?

• Thread starter Borek
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the redesign of the favicon for Physics Forums. Some prefer the previous version with its fitting colors, while others think it needs more punch. There are debates about the design and functionality of the favicon, as well as suggestions for tweaks and improvements. Ultimately, it is decided to keep the newest version with its bold letters and clear colors, but some still prefer the old one.
Borek
Mentor
I think I liked the previous one more, it was better fitting logo colors.

Attachments

• Untitled-1.png
    Untitled-1.png
    741 bytes · Views: 535
Physics news on Phys.org
I think I prefer the previous favicon.

The one on the left is better. (it's not showing in mac, and I don't like it :grumpy:)

What's a favicon?

I think the old favicon colors were fine; the new colors look retro. The only change I would like to see with the favicon is that the letters P and F should be fatter, to match the logo.

Can anyone show us what does it look like now??

Heres a quick screen shot.

Attachments

• snapshot1.png
    snapshot1.png
    721 bytes · Views: 560
The previous one appeals to me more.

I don't see favicons anymore, so can't say. They don't display on the iPad, and the last Firefox upgrade I did on the other macs broke all of the favicons. Some don't show at all and some are just empty boxes where it should be.

Oh no, the retro look is back!

I think it has a sci-fi look to it. :smile:

I really quite like the newest version, so I think we are staying put. Because IE caches the favicon is bizarre fashion some of you might be a few versions older which I agree were not top notch. The newest version is clear, bold, good colors and better typesetting.

Normally I would not comment on something like this. But I have to agree with others that the old one looks better.

But then again, you're the man.

Just to be clear this attached image is the old one vs the new one. The old one was hard to see, can barely see the F and it has two white lines that are mistakes that is so sloppy.

Attachments

• favicontest.gif
    favicontest.gif
    3.3 KB · Views: 533
We need to go deeper...

Attachments

• pfception.png
    pfception.png
    2.7 KB · Views: 493
If it's still up for debate, I'd like to vote for the old one. :biggrin:

You could always make the letters bold and the green darker to give it more contrast.

Attachments

• pffavicon.jpg
    pffavicon.jpg
    411 bytes · Views: 488
It shows next to the url:

http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/8704/pffavicon.png

This is a bit different compared to the one Borek attached, and looks better than both to be honest.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a suggested tweak...
The P is rounded and raised 1 pixel.
The F is lowered 1 pixel.

Attachments

• PF-favicon.gif
    PF-favicon.gif
    98 bytes · Views: 543
I think something like intwo's version would be ideal. The letters would be thicker just like the new version, so it's easier to see, but the colors would be the same as the old version, matching those of the Physics Forums logo.

1. What is a favicon and why is it important for a website?

A favicon is a small icon that appears in the browser tab or bookmark bar of a website. It is important because it helps users easily identify and distinguish your website from others, making it more memorable and recognizable.

2. How does a new favicon impact user experience?

A new favicon can impact user experience in several ways. It can make the website feel more modern and updated, which can improve user perception and trust in the site. It can also help with visual organization and navigation, making it easier for users to find and access the site.

3. What factors should be considered when designing a new favicon?

When designing a new favicon, it is important to consider the overall branding and design of the website. The favicon should be simple and easily recognizable, and it should also be consistent with the overall aesthetic of the site. It should also be optimized for different sizes and resolutions to ensure it appears clear and crisp on all devices.

4. How can a new favicon affect website traffic?

A new favicon can potentially attract more website traffic if it is eye-catching and memorable. It can also improve user experience, making visitors more likely to return to the site in the future. However, if the new favicon is drastically different or unrecognizable, it may confuse or deter users, leading to a decrease in traffic.

5. Can a new favicon impact search engine optimization (SEO)?

Yes, a new favicon can impact SEO. Search engines use favicons as part of their algorithm to determine the credibility and relevance of a website. A well-designed and relevant favicon can potentially improve a website's SEO and visibility in search engine results.