Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thread bumping

1. May 7, 2008 #1
    I recently got an infraction for thread bumping. By thread bumping I mean making a post that says something non-substantive like "anyone?" just in order to move the thread to the top of the thread list. I have bumped threads probably a hundred times since I joined here and had never received an infraction before. I am not angry about the infraction, I am just pointing out that PF should decide one way or the other and put their decision in their guidelines for new members to read.

The benefit is that the OP can show that she is still interested in the question and allow new people to read the thread. I think a lot of people just look at the most recent threads and since the posting rate in the homework help section is so high this means that someone who might know the answer might not see your thread. Also, someone might get an insight the second time they look at your problem which they might not do if it fell to far in the list.

The disadvantages of this practice are of course that it wastes memory on the PF server just for like one-word threads and it can crowd out new threads.

Again, I am not angry about my infraction, I just think that PF should explicitly articulate a policy on this and be consistent about enforcing it.

2. jcsd
  3. May 7, 2008 #2

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

4. May 7, 2008 #3
    So is thread bumping allowed or is it not allowed? It seemed like they concluded that it was at the link but then I got an infraction for it. Someone just make a definitive statement about it here.

5. May 7, 2008 #4

Evo

Staff: Mentor

As Greg has said, one bump is allowable, but wait at least 24 hours before you bump it. Posting a request for help doesn't guarantee that anyone will be available to help. People that help out in Homework Help do it out of the kindness of their hearts, they are not compensated.

You can feel free to PM a Homework Help mentor if your thread has no views. But if your thread has had plenty of views and no responses, you might not get any help.

We are working on guidelines, but right now, only one bump is allowed.

6. May 7, 2008 #5

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

GregB said in that thread that one bump was okay, but no more. How many times did you bump the thread where you got the infraction?

7. May 7, 2008 #6

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

8. May 7, 2008 #7
    Yes thank you. I only bumped once in the thread where I got the infraction. The person who gave me the infraction just told me "The staff are looking ito this."

9. May 7, 2008 #8

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In case you were unaware, the staff can see the deleted posts in the thread in question.

With that, I think you have your answer as it pertains to general guidelines. Any further questions on your specific case should be addressed via private message with the mentors. This thread is now closed for discussion.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?