Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thread for Armpit Odor

1. Sep 10, 2004 #1
    I've got nothing to say, except to say that I'm curious and would like to know if armpit odor comes in a variety of smells. What purpose does this variance serve, if any?

I did a search on the internet, and could not find anything relevant except for A LOT of articles on botox, which in addition to being able to get rid of wrinkles, is now also used in the battle against armpit odor. :surprised :surprised: :surprised :redface: :redface: :eek:

I've not seen a thread on armpit odor before. I beseech all of you to post any interesting information on armpits here. Or ask a few questions.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2004 #2
    did u know that the armpit contains the most bacteria than any part of your external body?:p

4. Sep 10, 2004 #3

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

taken from here

5. Sep 16, 2004 #4
    Is it really true that armpit odour might contribute to making you more attractive to potential mates? If not, what is it purpose?

6. Sep 16, 2004 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I no longer recall where it was published, but there was a study some time ago that tried to test this. IIRC, they had men wear t-shirts for a day, then asked women to smell the t-shirts :yuck: and rank them on a scale that ranged from some degree of pleasantness to some degree of unpleasantness (sorry, it's been a long time since I've read it). When the women were ovulating, they ranked the shirts less unpleasant than at other stages of their cycle. But, it's worth noting they never ranked the odors as pleasant, just less unpleasant. The authors were trying to find evidence of pheromonal signals in humans. I don't really think armpit odors have a purpose, they're just a by-product of the bacteria hanging out in that area of the body.

7. Sep 16, 2004 #6
    So what is the purpose of axillary hair then? Doesn't this make the condition in the armpit even more suitable for bacteria growth?

8. Sep 17, 2004 #7

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Pheromones of some sort might be released from the armpits, but the smell of bacterial-broken down apocrine secretion certainly wouldn't be the attractant :yuck:

The purpose of the axillary hair is to reduce friction and to aid in evaporation (the hairs are hollow).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?