Thread Format Changed? Suggestion for Better Visibility

• Thread starter PeterDonis
  • Start date
In summary, the way posts are displayed in threads on PF has changed, with posters' names now appearing in a blue title bar. However, some users have suggested that the names should be in a lighter color for easier visibility. The changes are not yet permanent as Greg is still testing things. Some users have reported issues with the display on iPads and some images not rendering correctly. There are also concerns about the size and placement of avatars. The goal of these changes is to prioritize the content, but some users are finding it difficult to identify who is posting due to the current layout. Suggestions have been made to rearrange the elements or revert back to the previous format. Overall, there are mixed reactions to the changes and some users are
While browsing PF just now, the way posts in threads are displayed changed. I assume on purpose?

I don't mind the new format, but I do have one suggestion: if the posters' names are going to appear in the blue title bar, they need to be in a light color. As it is now I have to squint to make them out.

Physics news on Phys.org
Greg is testing things. It's not permanent yet.

Oh good I thought I was high on something.

WannabeNewton said:

Well, you are, but that's irrelevant.

Greg is testing things.
Whatever he's doing, it's not working on an iPad - title and author/date bars are on top of one another.

Nugatory said:
Whatever he's doing, it's not working on an iPad - title and author/date bars are on top of one another.

Is it possible to take a screenshot?

There will be many adjustments in the next couple days. The goal of this is the prioritize the content.

The "online users" box is not right:

zq2hw.png

I'll post screen shots of odd things as I find them.

You have to connect the dots lisab.

WannabeNewton said:
We must all be high. Now we're admins.

attachment.php?attachmentid=60636&stc=1&d=1375415633.jpg

Attachments

• we'readmins.jpg
    we'readmins.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 571
Hey! I paid good money to get that avatar and now it's microscopic. Talk about devaluation! I like the bigger ones. Sometimes they are the best thing in the thread. :frown:

dlgoff said:
We must all be high. Now we're admins.
Yeeeey

LCKurtz said:
Hey! I paid good money to get that avatar and now it's microscopic. Talk about devaluation! I like the bigger ones. Sometimes they are the best thing in the thread. :frown:
Hopefully the avatars will be restored as they identify members. Many people even get upset when well known members change their avatars, it becomes a symbol of who they are.

Uh oh, the members online background has turned dark blue and gold members are no longer highlighted.

Evo said:
Uh oh, the members online background has turned dark blue and gold members are no longer highlighted.

It's a problem. I really dislike it, but for now, it's all I can do to make it legible.

Greg Bernhardt said:
It's a problem. I really dislike it, but for now, it's all I can do to make it legible.
:tongue: I'm just giving a play by play, I will shut up now and go watch Masterchef UK Professionals. :!)

I actually like the dark blue, if now it could show gold members. Makes it easier to see who's online and how many gold members are on (something I've been counting since we started gold).

I feel like I have to scan through the title bar to figure out who made the post. Most free members have their names pop up right at the start, but when you add an avatar, mentor title etc. before the name, my eyes will usually jump to the beginning and work their way across from there.

Please consider the torment that my eyes are going through :tongue:

Mentallic said:
I feel like I have to scan through the title bar to figure out who made the post. Most free members have their names pop up right at the start, but when you add an avatar, mentor title etc. before the name, my eyes will usually jump to the beginning and work their way across from there.

I can rearrange the elements if others feel this way

Well, I'm not sure how I'd feel about the mentor tag going after the name either. I felt like it worked in the old format when each detail was in its own row, but that might also just be because it's what we became accustomed to. So carry on!

Oh, and change scares me.

edit: Now that I've seen it, I much prefer the names being at the beginning with everything else afterwards.

I want the avatars back to normal, the rest can be in one bar. My avatar can't be seen, other's are even worse, not worth having it anymore. Just look at dl's, wtheck is that?

Evo said:
Just look at dl's, wtheck is that?

I couldn't tell what it was when it was bigger :biggrin:

Evo said:
I want the avatars back to normal, the rest can be in one bar. My avatar can't be seen, other's are even worse, not worth having it anymore. Just look at dl's, wtheck is that?

I see 5 dots on a dark blue background. The avatars might be a tad small.

hmmm... Maybe Greg is working on a 6 foot diagonal screen for development, and all the avatars are a foot square? Someone with some pull should call Greg, and make the avatars bigger, for us 15" laptop peeps.

Greg Bernhardt said:
I couldn't tell what it was when it was bigger :biggrin:

I always saw two eyes and an evil smile. Now it's just dots. Listen to Evo, young man... :grumpy:

-------------------------
ps. I'm going to bed now, and I want to see everything perfect in 6 hours, when I wake up...:zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz:

The number of posts is pissing me off. It's not centered. For some people, it's above the center line, for others it's below.

When I say it's not centered, I mean vertically.EDIT: Now that I think about it, wouldn't it be nice to have the post count horizontally centered?

Last edited:
Why not make everything one plain text file?

I prefer the box on the left side: space to identify members.

Monique said:
Why not make everything one plain text file?

I prefer the box on the left side: space to identify members.

Yes. I'm finding it really annoying as it's difficult to identify who's posting what. The username determines whether I'll read the post or not in many cases. :mad:

i have no problems with it,
but it sure is weird since it's something different.
for me it's about the message, and not the messenger.

Where is the multi quote button?

Personally, I preferred the old format for posts. Having the actual post in a smaller column made it easier to read as your eyes did not need to scan over as wide of an area to see all of the text.

Ygggdrasil said:
Personally, I preferred the old format for posts. Having the actual post in a smaller column made it easier to read as your eyes did not need to scan over as wide of an area to see all of the text.

I am brainstorming on this

Has anyone tried printing pages? Poster names don't show up when I print to PDF... although they show up in preview.
Maybe my version of Firefox (20.0.1) on WinXP is too old.

The new format is awesome! I hate other forums that devote so much screen space to people's avatars and signatures that only 1-2 actual posts show up on the screen at the same time.

Likes 1 person
However, I think the user names need to be in white, and that highlighting them in different colors is a bad way to distinguish their various privileges when they are over a blue background. Maybe invent a new set of badges.

Ben Niehoff said:
However, I think the user names need to be in white, and that highlighting them in different colors is a bad way to distinguish their various privileges when they are over a blue background. Maybe invent a new set of badges.

The reason I switched them around was that white stuck out a lot more than the blue. Once you adjust to the fact that light blue is a normal member, it won't seem weird.