What Causes Threads to be Locked in Online Forums?

• Thread starter phinds
  • Start date
In summary, a senior physicist reported a thread on the forum and it was temporarily locked by a mentor. The thread was unlocked after a few minutes and the reason for the temporary lock was explained. The mentor was praised for being awesome and the conversation ended on a light note. The person who opened the thread always likes to know why threads are locked and will still take a look at them even if they may not have anything intelligent to say.
phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
This thread:
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/wavefunction-spreading-speed-in-material-mediums.889466/

when clicked on opens normally, with the full set of buttons ("reply", etc) and no indication that it is locked but in the forum it says it is locked

Capture.JPG

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry for the temporary confusion, phinds. I temporarily locked the thread when looking into a report by a senior physicist about the thread -- Mentors sometimes use the Thread Lock feature as a semaphore as we look into the thread while deciding what to do with it. In this case I unlocked it within a couple minutes deciding to let the other Mentors deal with the post report.

If a thread will be locked for more than a couple of minutes, we will usually post in the thread that the thread is locked for Moderation. In this case, I unlocked it relatively quickly to release the semaphore for other Mentors to deal with it.

BTW, what were you going to reply with... :smile:

He was going to say that Berkeman is awesome and one of the nicest mentors we have. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes dlgoff and gracy
LOL. Hopefully he was going to say something else to @Gerinski in reply...

Evo said:
He was going to sat that Berkeman is awesome and one of the nicest mentors we have. :smile:
Well, that's a given, of course.

I rarely know when I open a thread whether I even will have any thing intelligent(1) to say but as a separate issue I like to know why threads are locked so I always take a look at them.

Thanks for the explanation of what was confusing me.

1) I should note, and I know that it will come as no surprise, that a lack of anything intelligent to say rarely shuts me up.

Likes CalcNerd and Evo

1. What does it mean when a thread is locked?

When a thread is locked, it means that no further comments or replies can be added to the thread. This is usually done by a moderator or administrator to prevent any further discussion or arguments on the topic.

2. Why would a thread be locked?

A thread may be locked for various reasons, but it is usually to maintain order and prevent the discussion from getting out of hand. For example, if a thread is becoming too heated or off-topic, a moderator may lock it to prevent any further escalation.

3. Can a locked thread be unlocked?

Yes, a thread can be unlocked by a moderator or administrator if they feel that the discussion can continue in a productive and respectful manner. However, some threads may remain locked permanently.

4. How can I prevent my thread from being locked?

To prevent your thread from being locked, make sure to follow the forum's rules and guidelines. Avoid posting offensive or inappropriate content, stay on topic, and be respectful to other members.

5. Can I still read a locked thread?

Yes, you can still read a locked thread. The thread may be locked for further comments, but you can still access and read the existing comments and replies.