Thread Locked. Not Open for further comments....

• Thread starter Tom.G
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of language in notifying users of locked or closed threads. The participants suggest using more polite and informative language such as "closed" instead of "locked," and prioritize making small changes that have a high value:effort ratio. The speaker also mentions being busy with other work and having a long list of easy changes to make.
Tom.G
Science Advisor
Gold Member
"Thread Locked. Not Open for further comments."
... would be a nicer, but still informative, way than the current:

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.

Which comes across more as "Shut up plebe! You have nothing to say here!"
(Even though they latter may be true!)

EDIT: OK, I'll go with @DrClaude (below) with "Closed" rather than "Locked."

Last edited:
Likes Wrichik Basu and DrClaude
Physics news on Phys.org
I would even use "closed" instead of "locked."

Likes Klystron and Tom.G
Just stock software phrasing. We can soften, but not a high priority.

• Informative
Likes Klystron
Are you prioritizing by value, or by the value:effort ratio? That's a question, not an argument, especially because I'm not the one who'll have to do the work... But it's easy for engineering types to underestimate the ROI on improving notifications.

Likes Tom.G
Nugatory said:
value:effort ratio
Almost always this :smile: This is easy to change, but I also have 100 easy changes on my list and all the work done with PF5 this past 30 days has left me really behind in real life work obligations 😵😬😀

Likes Wrichik Basu

1. Why was the thread locked?

Threads may be locked for a variety of reasons, such as violating forum rules or guidelines, containing inappropriate or offensive content, or reaching a predetermined time limit.

2. Can I still read the comments on a locked thread?

Yes, you can still read the comments on a locked thread. However, you will not be able to add any new comments or replies.

3. Can I request for a locked thread to be reopened?

It depends on the forum's policies. Some forums may allow users to request for a locked thread to be reopened, while others may not. It is best to check with the forum moderators or administrators.

4. How can I prevent my thread from being locked?

To prevent your thread from being locked, make sure to follow the forum's rules and guidelines, avoid posting offensive or inappropriate content, and engage in respectful discussions with other users.

5. Can I still edit my comments on a locked thread?

It depends on the forum's policies. Some forums may allow users to edit their comments on a locked thread, while others may not. It is best to check with the forum moderators or administrators.