Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thread locked

1. Feb 24, 2009 #1
    My thread ( https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=2090937#post2090937 ) got locked for "discussion of dangerous activities". But that did not solve my problem. I still have no way to heat 50 gallons of water. I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility for someone with limited knowledge of electricity to plug something into a wall. Yes, it's dangerous if you do something you shouldn't, but that's the point of me coming to a here and asking for help. At no point did I show any intention to do anything dangerous and the project itself isn't dangerous with proper direction. Please reopen that thread so someone who can give me step by step directions can help me.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2009 #2

Danger

Gold Member

I just read that thread a few minutes ago, and it scared the hell out of me. What you need is to buy a commercial unit that is compatible with your household circuits, or have a certified electrician install one for you. You obviously don't have enough knowledge to avoid electrocuting yourself or burning down your neighbourhood.

4. Feb 25, 2009 #3

turbo

Gold Member

It is evident from the OP's suggestion that (s)he might cut off the ends of an extension cord and just "hook it up" that we are dealing with someone with no training, no skills, and no appreciation for the dangers involved in throwing together an untested, unrated, electrically-powered load. Everybody stand back! I pray that this person does not live in an apartment building or densely-built neighborhood!!

5. Feb 25, 2009 #4

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Please PM the mentor that locked your thread to discuss this.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook