Unlock My Physics Forum Thread - Heat 50 Gallons of Water

• Thread starter GiTS
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a thread being locked on a forum for discussing dangerous activities. The person who posted the thread was seeking help with heating water, but was advised to seek a commercial unit or have a certified electrician install one due to their lack of knowledge and the potential dangers involved. The OP showed no intention of doing anything dangerous, but the suggestion of using an extension cord raised concerns. The advice given was to contact the mentor who locked the thread for further discussion.
GiTS
My thread ( https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=2090937#post2090937 ) got locked for "discussion of dangerous activities". But that did not solve my problem. I still have no way to heat 50 gallons of water. I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility for someone with limited knowledge of electricity to plug something into a wall. Yes, it's dangerous if you do something you shouldn't, but that's the point of me coming to a here and asking for help. At no point did I show any intention to do anything dangerous and the project itself isn't dangerous with proper direction. Please reopen that thread so someone who can give me step by step directions can help me.

Physics news on Phys.org
I just read that thread a few minutes ago, and it scared the hell out of me. What you need is to buy a commercial unit that is compatible with your household circuits, or have a certified electrician install one for you. You obviously don't have enough knowledge to avoid electrocuting yourself or burning down your neighbourhood.

It is evident from the OP's suggestion that (s)he might cut off the ends of an extension cord and just "hook it up" that we are dealing with someone with no training, no skills, and no appreciation for the dangers involved in throwing together an untested, unrated, electrically-powered load. Everybody stand back! I pray that this person does not live in an apartment building or densely-built neighborhood!

Please PM the mentor that locked your thread to discuss this.

1. How long will it take to heat 50 gallons of water using a specific heating method?

The time it takes to heat 50 gallons of water will vary depending on the heating method used. Generally, it can take anywhere from 1-2 hours to heat 50 gallons of water using a standard electric or gas water heater. Using a more efficient method, such as a solar water heater, may take longer. Factors such as the initial temperature of the water, the efficiency of the heating system, and the ambient temperature can also affect the heating time.

2. What is the most efficient way to heat 50 gallons of water?

The most efficient way to heat 50 gallons of water is by using a high-efficiency water heater or a solar water heater. These systems use less energy and can heat water more quickly compared to traditional electric or gas water heaters. Additionally, using a well-insulated water tank and minimizing heat loss can also improve efficiency.

3. How much energy will it take to heat 50 gallons of water?

The amount of energy needed to heat 50 gallons of water will depend on the initial temperature of the water and the desired final temperature. On average, it takes about 8,000 BTUs (British Thermal Units) to raise the temperature of 50 gallons of water by 1 degree Fahrenheit. This means that to heat 50 gallons of water from room temperature (around 70 degrees Fahrenheit) to 120 degrees Fahrenheit, it would require approximately 400,000 BTUs.

4. Can I use renewable energy sources to heat 50 gallons of water?

Yes, renewable energy sources such as solar, wind, or geothermal energy can be used to heat 50 gallons of water. Solar water heaters use the sun's energy to heat water and can be a cost-effective and environmentally friendly option. Wind turbines or geothermal heat pumps can also be used to generate electricity to power an electric water heater. Using renewable energy sources can reduce reliance on fossil fuels and lower energy costs in the long run.

5. How can I calculate the cost of heating 50 gallons of water?

The cost of heating 50 gallons of water will depend on the type of energy used, the efficiency of the heating system, and the local energy rates. To calculate the cost, you can use the following formula: Cost = (Number of gallons x Change in temperature x Energy factor) / (Energy rate per unit x 100,000). The energy factor and energy rate can be found on your water heater's label or in the manufacturer's instructions. Keep in mind that this is just an estimate and the actual cost may vary depending on individual factors.