Thread Moved to HW Forums: Seeking Clarification on Infraction and Forum Rules

• Complaint
  • Thread starter somasimple
  • Start date
somasimple
Gold Member
Hi all,

1/ I'm a not a student and I'm not actually following any courses.
2/ I created a thread with personal figures in the classics physics forums, seeking an answer from experts as usually.
3/ The thread was moved to the HW forums.
4/ I received an infraction for some unknown reason by ZaperZ.
5/ And this moderator refuses to move back the thread to the right forum.
6/ I want the thread to be moved back since I'm not a student and do not want their rules to be applied to a normal and not HW or course question.
7/ I want the infraction to be removed since I did no infraction.

Regards.

Here is a proof the topic was moved by someone.

Attachments

• Classical Physics Forum.pdf
    176.6 KB · Views: 270
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The rules state that any question of homework or coursework style must be posted in the homework forum, regardless of whether it is actually homework for a class, or part of your own independent study. That is why your thread was moved.

You received a warning (which is different from an infraction) as is standard practice when coursework-style questions are posted in the wrong place. This is just a way to point to the rules and to keep a record of it: warnings carry no points, and therefore do not put you in danger of receiving a ban.

Are you saying that a member is unable to post a subject that looks like a HW problem?
How this member is able to know his subject looks like a HW problem?

BTW, there are tons of subjects that aren't moved but are classroom HW problems:
an example:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=427243
In class today, my professor said that you will never find a force that is a function of acceleration.

Why is this?

MLaTeX Code: \\ddot{x} (t) = F(x,y,z,LaTeX Code: \\dot{x},\\dot{y},\\dot{z} ,t)
MLaTeX Code: \\ddot{y} (t) = F(x,y,z,LaTeX Code: \\dot{x},\\dot{y},\\dot{z} ,t)
MLaTeX Code: \\ddot{z} (t) = F(x,y,z,LaTeX Code: \\dot{x},\\dot{y},\\dot{z} ,t)

This is in a classical mechanics / dynamics course
Does that means that some topics are moved when others do not?
It would mean that a different rule is applied!

somasimple said:
Are you saying that a member is unable to post a subject that looks like a HW problem?

No, I'm saying that if a member wants to post such a question, it should go in the appropriate homework forum.

BTW, there are tons of subjects that aren't moved but are classroom HW problems:
an example:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=427243

I don't think that is a coursework type question, because the member is asking about a more general question, and not for the answer to a specific question. Of course, that is a judgement call.

Does that means that some topics are moved when others do not?
It would mean that a different rule is applied!

It means that threads get moved when they are spotted by a member of staff, or when they are reported to us. Since the staff are relatively small in number, and volunteer their time here at PF, it may be possible that sometimes topics are missed.

Sometimes?
Are you joking?
Almost 50% of subjects may be moved that way.
and that one:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=422902
It is exactly the same thing: I'm asking for a general answer but it was not moved.
And quite all the subjects I posted are on the same tune...

And:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=8128
Before posting anything, please review the Physics Forums Global Guidelines.

If you are seeking help with a homework/coursework/textbook related issue please post your problem in the appropriate forum in our Homework & Coursework Questions area.

Just a heads up, we prefer that you make a solid effort and completing your problem before seeking help. We, as a general rule, will not do your homework for you.The General Physics forum is for discussions of the current state of Physics. We do not debate the validity of Relativity or Quantum Mechanics here.

Enjoy our forums, there are many very knowledgeable posters here. If you are not sure of your knowledge, read before posting. In general you will receive better information if you post clear and complete questions. Do not assume that we are all familiar with your thoughts and terminology.

Integral

PF Mentor
So since I'm not seeking a homework/coursework/textbook related issue then the general rules apply or there is a huge contradiction.

somasimple said:
And:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=8128

So since I'm not seeking a homework/coursework/textbook related issue then the general rules apply or there is a huge contradiction.

The second post in that thread says this:

As a reminder, please do not post Homework/Schoolwork-type questions here. We have a dedicated forum for that

The main forum rules state:

On posting questions: Any and all high school and undergraduate homework assignments or textbook style exercises for which you are seeking assistance are to be posted in the appropriate forum in our Homework & Coursework Questions area--not in blogs, visitor messages, PMs, or the main technical forums. This should be done whether the problem is part of one's assigned coursework or just independent study.

As a reminder, please do not post Homework/Schoolwork-type questions here. We have a dedicated forum for that
I did not posted such a question since it is nota HW question and I did not posted in the HW forums.
I'm aware that there is dedicated forums for students but I'm not a student even if I post subjects that look like textbook problems.

How do you think a neophyte will post a question?

You're missing the point. All homework/coursework-TYPE questions must be posted in the homework forums, regardless of whether you are a student, or you are doing independent study. I'm not sure how many times I can say this!

And no, you were given A WARNING, not an infraction. It carries zero points and it expires! This is more of a note to indicate to other mentors that you have already been told where to post that type of question.

But what is more disturbing here based on your PM's to me, is the appearance that you are asking for answers only, and not any indication that you wish to learn on how these problems are solved. It is NOT A DEMOTION for something to be moved to the HW/Coursework forum. In fact, we have many dedicated members who are more than willing to spend time and effort to help you solve such problems. So in essence, you will get a more structured response. Members who routinely scan the HW/Coursework forums are already eager to help!

Your question is a HW/coursework-type question. How do I know this? I've thought these things to my students, and the same type of questions can be found in many intro physics texts. Thus, it belongs in the HW/Coursework forum, even if it isn't strictly a HW/Coursework assignment. Why? If you want to learn how to solve such a thing, that's the forum that will guide you. If you wish to be spoon-fed the answer only, then you've found the wrong forum, and PF isn't for you. It is that simple.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
the appearance that you are asking for answers only, and not any indication that you wish to learn on how these problems are solved.

To make explicit what is implicit in ZapperZ's statement: this is a place for people to learn physics: understand concepts, learn how to solve problems or exercises, etc. It is not a place for people to get work done for them for free.

I'm curious to know why it matters so much to you that your post was moved. Isn't finding your way to a solution the goal? :confused: Why does the sub-forum in which it resides matter?

ZapperZ said:
How do I know this? I've thought these things to my students...
Were your students able to pick up on your cranial emanations?:wink:

1. What does "Thread moved to HW forums" mean?

When a thread is moved to HW forums, it means that the discussion or topic of the thread is more appropriate for the homework forums on a website or online community. This could be due to the nature of the question or the level of expertise required to answer it.

2. Why was my thread moved to HW forums?

Your thread may have been moved to HW forums because it was deemed more appropriate for that section of the website. This could be due to the subject matter of the thread or the specific guidelines of the website.

3. Can I request for my thread to be moved back to its original location?

Yes, you can request for your thread to be moved back to its original location. However, it is ultimately up to the moderators or administrators of the website to decide if the thread should be moved back or not.

4. Will my thread still be visible to other users if it is moved to HW forums?

Yes, your thread will still be visible to other users even if it is moved to HW forums. It will simply be located in a different section of the website. This allows for a more organized and efficient platform for discussions and information sharing.

5. How can I ensure that my thread is not moved to HW forums?

To ensure that your thread is not moved to HW forums, make sure to carefully read the guidelines of the website or online community before posting. If your question or discussion is related to homework, it is best to post in the designated HW forums to avoid any potential issues.