Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

1. Mar 28, 2010 #1
    Several other V bulletin forums I know have a

'Thread Tools' option at the head of a thread.

I can't see this function here, but would like to monitor some threads (add a subscription) where I do not have anything to add.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2010 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

The 'thread tools' option is supported here.

4. Mar 28, 2010 #3
    Thanks Doc

Seems a pity the only way I can monitor a thread where I might learn something is to add something fatuous to that thread.

5. Mar 28, 2010 #4

Doc Al

:confused:

The thread tools option is available here on PF.

6. Mar 28, 2010 #5

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think I see the problem.

PF_ThreadTools.gif

7. Mar 28, 2010 #6

Doc Al

Genius! :cool:

8. Mar 28, 2010 #7
    But I am not seeing this - I did when I first joined but tools have disappeared?
    I can't see any settings the the user CP for this.

Attached Files:

9. Mar 28, 2010 #8
    For some reason you are missing the header of the post. What version of IE is that?

10. Mar 28, 2010 #9
    It's pretty well up to date.

Attached Files:

11. Mar 28, 2010 #10
    And yet the tools function is available on my screen on this thread?

Attached Files:

12. Mar 28, 2010 #11

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That thread seems to be starting on post #6. :confused: I think it's a glitch with the display of that thread (was it by any chance started during our downtime the past couple of days), not with the thread tools.

13. Mar 28, 2010 #12
    No I can see all the posts, I just have my preferences set to last - first.

14. May 6, 2010 #13
    I think I have finally understood, so for the benefit of others

The thread tools option only appears in the bar of post#1 (the original post) in a thread.

Although it is possible to live with this, other V-Bulletin based forums allow it more generally and this facility is very useful.

Moreover thanks to all those who tried to help: it is clear that this fact is not well known even amongst more senior members (no criticism intended) so I would invite the moderators/ administrators to consider the situation.

15. May 6, 2010 #14

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's how I have mine set too, and the thread tools are every n*16 +1 posts. So scroll down a bit and they'll be there.

16. May 6, 2010 #15
  17. May 6, 2010 #16
    Here is a screenshot from another forum (an elecronics one with a similar mission statement to PF, hosted by University of Toronto).

The Thread Tools option is in a bar immediately above the first or last post depending upon display order. It is always there by popular request on this forum.

Attached Files:

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook