Utilizing Thread Tools on V Bulletin Forums for Easy Thread Management

• Thread starter Studiot
  • Start date
In summary, the user noticed that there was no "thread tools" option available on Physics Forum, and expressed a desire for this feature to be added. Other users then pointed out that the option did, in fact, exist on the forum, but only at the head of the first or last post in a thread. The user then requested for the moderators and administrators to consider making the thread tools option more easily accessible.
Studiot
Several other V bulletin forums I know have a

'Thread Tools' option at the head of a thread.

I can't see this function here, but would like to monitor some threads (add a subscription) where I do not have anything to add.

Physics news on Phys.org
The 'thread tools' option is supported here.

Thanks Doc

Seems a pity the only way I can monitor a thread where I might learn something is to add something fatuous to that thread.

:confused:

The thread tools option is available here on PF.

I think I see the problem.

PF_ThreadTools.gif

Genius! :cool:

But I am not seeing this - I did when I first joined but tools have disappeared?
I can't see any settings the the user CP for this.

Attachments

• tools.jpg
    tools.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 374
Studiot said:
But I am not seeing this - I did when I first joined but tools have disappeared?

For some reason you are missing the header of the post. What version of IE is that?

It's pretty well up to date.

Attachments

• version.jpg
    version.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 352
And yet the tools function is available on my screen on this thread?

Attachments

• tools2.jpg
    tools2.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 362
Studiot said:

That thread seems to be starting on post #6. :confused: I think it's a glitch with the display of that thread (was it by any chance started during our downtime the past couple of days), not with the thread tools.

No I can see all the posts, I just have my preferences set to last - first.

I think I have finally understood, so for the benefit of others

The thread tools option only appears in the bar of post#1 (the original post) in a thread.

Although it is possible to live with this, other V-Bulletin based forums allow it more generally and this facility is very useful.

Moreover thanks to all those who tried to help: it is clear that this fact is not well known even amongst more senior members (no criticism intended) so I would invite the moderators/ administrators to consider the situation.

Studiot said:
No I can see all the posts, I just have my preferences set to last - first.

That's how I have mine set too, and the thread tools are every n*16 +1 posts. So scroll down a bit and they'll be there.

Here is a screenshot from another forum (an elecronics one with a similar mission statement to PF, hosted by University of Toronto).

The Thread Tools option is in a bar immediately above the first or last post depending upon display order. It is always there by popular request on this forum.

Attachments

• threadtools.jpg
    threadtools.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 345

1. What are the thread tools available on V Bulletin forums?

The thread tools available on V Bulletin forums include options such as locking, moving, merging, and deleting threads, as well as marking threads as sticky or unread.

2. How do I access the thread tools on V Bulletin forums?

To access the thread tools, you can click on the "Thread Tools" dropdown menu located at the top right corner of a thread. Alternatively, you can also access them by clicking on the "Moderation" option in the forum's navigation bar and selecting "Thread Tools" from the menu.

3. Can I use thread tools on all types of threads?

Yes, you can use thread tools on all types of threads, including ones that you have created or ones that you are a moderator of. However, some thread tools may not be available if you do not have the necessary permissions.

4. How can I lock a thread using the thread tools?

To lock a thread, simply select the "Lock Thread" option from the thread tools menu. This will prevent any further replies from being made on the thread. You can also unlock a thread using the same menu if needed.

5. Is there a way to quickly move multiple threads to a different forum using thread tools?

Yes, there is an option to move multiple threads at once using the thread tools. Simply select the threads you want to move, click on the "Thread Tools" dropdown menu, and choose the "Move Threads" option. You can then select the destination forum and move all selected threads in one go.