Can Forums Facilitate Subthreads for Organized Discussions?

• Thread starter jamie.j1989
  • Start date
In summary, the website offers a threaded view that allows for subthreads, but it is not a feature that is particularly useful to users.
jamie.j1989
Hi,

I want to start reading a book on Emmy Noether's theorem, I think it would be healthy to ask questions when appropriate. It just seems a bit messy to start a new thread every time though, or keep posting in the same one. Is there any functionality to open a thread about a broader topic, a book in this case, and then have sub threads within it?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
There are no subthreads. If it doesn't fit into an existing thread, it is better to open a new one.

mfb said:
There are no subthreads. If it doesn't fit into an existing thread, it is better to open a new one.
No fractal posts, then? I want my money...er, PF is free, no problem, sorry :).

I think Greg skipped thread within threads to avoid recursion

phinds said:
I think Greg skipped thread within threads to avoid recursion

You mean to Av(oid (Re(Recursion...) ...) ... ?

WWGD said:
You mean to Av(oid (Re(Recursion...) ...) ... ?
Yes (yes (yes (yes ... ) ) )

Likes WWGD
jamie.j1989 said:
Hi,

I want to start reading a book on Emmy Noether's theorem, I think it would be healthy to ask questions when appropriate. It just seems a bit messy to start a new thread every time though, or keep posting in the same one. Is there any functionality to open a thread about a broader topic, a book in this case, and then have sub threads within it?

Thanks
What you are looking for is a relational database.
Most websites don't do that

rootone said:
What you are looking for is a relational database. Most websites don't do that

Actually, I doubt it has to do with the type of database; my guess is, it is simply a design choice.

I say this because some forum platforms (e.g. vbulletin) do offer a "subthreads" or "multiple threads within a thread" view, in addition to a chronological view. Subthreads are simply chains of responses that deviate from strict chronology, e.g. if you reply to an earlier comment in a thread rather than the most recent comment, that starts building a subthread; very little additional data would be needed, so I am guessing it would be easy to do w/ fairly simple scripts. However, multiple threads w/in a topic can be confusing at times & the trick doesn't necessarily add that much value in my experience; a single chronological view is easier for users to follow, especially since the quote feature can be used to make clear which comment is being responded to.

Below is an example - it's a link to a topic inside a nonprofit forum about music electronics [note to mods: very respectable forum, and not a competitor to PF]. Immediately below the thread title ("Yamaha emx512SC protection circuit"), you'll see a set of buttons on the right side of the page; click the Display button, and you'll see you can choose from linear, hybrid, and threaded modes. The threaded mode provides the subthreads view.

http://music-electronics-forum.com/t26867/

Last edited:

1. What are "Threads within Threads"?

"Threads within Threads" refers to the concept of multiple interconnected threads or storylines within a larger narrative or plot. It can also refer to the idea of smaller, more specific topics or themes being woven into a larger overarching theme.

2. How do threads within threads contribute to a story?

Threads within threads add depth and complexity to a story by allowing for multiple layers of plot and character development. They also help to create a more cohesive and rich narrative, as different threads can intersect and influence each other.

3. How can threads within threads be identified and analyzed?

Threads within threads can be identified by looking for recurring themes, characters, or plot points throughout a story. They can also be analyzed by examining their purpose and how they contribute to the overall meaning and message of the story.

4. What are some examples of stories with prominent threads within threads?

Examples of stories with prominent threads within threads include "Game of Thrones" by George R. R. Martin, "Cloud Atlas" by David Mitchell, and "The Canterbury Tales" by Geoffrey Chaucer.

5. How can writers effectively incorporate threads within threads into their own writing?

To effectively incorporate threads within threads, writers should have a clear understanding of their main storyline and overarching themes. They should also carefully plan and weave in smaller threads in a way that adds depth and complexity to the story without overwhelming the reader.