Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Threads within Threads?

1. Jul 4, 2017 #1
    Hi,

I want to start reading a book on Emmy Noether's theorem, I think it would be healthy to ask questions when appropriate. It just seems a bit messy to start a new thread every time though, or keep posting in the same one. Is there any functionality to open a thread about a broader topic, a book in this case, and then have sub threads within it?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 4, 2017 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

There are no subthreads. If it doesn't fit into an existing thread, it is better to open a new one.

4. Jul 4, 2017 #3

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No fractal posts, then? I want my money.....er, PF is free, no problem, sorry :).

5. Jul 4, 2017 #4

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I think Greg skipped thread within threads to avoid recursion

6. Jul 4, 2017 #5

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You mean to Av(oid (Re(Recursion........) .....) ...... ?

7. Jul 4, 2017 #6

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yes (yes (yes (yes ... ) ) )

8. Jul 4, 2017 #7
    What you are looking for is a relational database.
    Most websites don't do that

9. Jul 5, 2017 #8
    Actually, I doubt it has to do with the type of database; my guess is, it is simply a design choice.

I say this because some forum platforms (e.g. vbulletin) do offer a "subthreads" or "multiple threads within a thread" view, in addition to a chronological view. Subthreads are simply chains of responses that deviate from strict chronology, e.g. if you reply to an earlier comment in a thread rather than the most recent comment, that starts building a subthread; very little additional data would be needed, so I am guessing it would be easy to do w/ fairly simple scripts. However, multiple threads w/in a topic can be confusing at times & the trick doesn't necessarily add that much value in my experience; a single chronological view is easier for users to follow, especially since the quote feature can be used to make clear which comment is being responded to.

Below is an example - it's a link to a topic inside a nonprofit forum about music electronics [note to mods: very respectable forum, and not a competitor to PF]. Immediately below the thread title ("Yamaha emx512SC protection circuit"), you'll see a set of buttons on the right side of the page; click the Display button, and you'll see you can choose from linear, hybrid, and threaded modes. The threaded mode provides the subthreads view.

http://music-electronics-forum.com/t26867/

Last edited: Jul 5, 2017
  10. Jul 6, 2017 #9

OCR

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted