What's the biggest number you can create with three 3's?

• Thread starter ssj5harsh
  • Start date
In summary, the largest number you can make using three 9s is 9^(9^9). The largest number you can make using three 3s is 3^(3^3).
ssj5harsh
I know this is old, but let's see how many fall for it here.

a) What is the largest number you can make using three 9's?

b) What is the largest number you can make using three 3's?

Operations allowed are addition, subtaction, multiplication, division and exponentiation.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm, maybe:
9^(9^9)
3^(3^3)

?

Last edited:
Maybe :

. 3 / (3-3)

ssj
Figured with your comment " how many fall for it "
there must be a trick - was this it??

Last edited:
or maybe:
or something along those lines.

How do I make it invisible?

Last edited:
None of the pre-set colors match the new skin, but if you use e9e9e9 it'll be invisible. I.e. <bracket>color="#e9e9e9"<bracket> Text <bracket>/color<bracket> (not sure how to make a bracket actually show up instead of being interpreted). Demo: Invisible text

new white out code

See 11-15-2005 post in "sticky thread" at top of Brain teaser forum

for new white out code to macth new skin.
Testing here for e9e9e9 maybe it works too
Test of e9 above -- either black or e9e9e9 seems work ok

Last edited:
I see you fell for it

a) The answer is 9^(9^9).

b) The answer is 3^33. You should see that this is greater than 3^(3^3), which is 3^27.

That was the trick.

As far as I know 3/(3-3) is not defined as 3/0 is not defined, since the left hand and right hand limits are not equal.

Sorry about not seeing the sticky at the time. I picked e9e9e9 by simply checking what the background rendered to, though with color profiles, websafeness and what not it may well be something else when it starts out (I just hit printscreen, tabbed over to photoshop, pasted in a screenshot and looked) and/or be rendered as something else elsewhere. Not like 4/256 shade diff is going to kill anyone anyhow :-).

ssj5harsh said:
I see you fell for it
a) The answer is 9^(9^9).
b) The answer is 3^33. You should see that this is greater than 3^(3^3), which is 3^27.
That was the trick.
As far as I know 3/(3-3) is not defined as 3/0 is not defined, since the left hand and right hand limits are not equal.

I'm sorry, how did you get 33 from two 3s when all you can do is add, divide, multiply, subtract, and exponentiate? I call BS. You should have listed concatenate.

(Although I did go over a few different ways fo fitting 9s together to get weird shapes...)

Rotate one 3 over 90 deg and the other one over -90 deg and stick them on top of each other to make [itex]\infty[/itex].

so it means we only need two 3's instead of three?

You could use the other one to make

[tex]3^\infty[/tex]

My bid is:
[tex]\omega^{\omega^\omega}[/tex]
Though my grasp of transfinite numbers is shakey at best, I think it's bigger then "infinity" (i.e. plain omega) and 3^infinity :-).

What is the significance of "Three 3's"?

The term "Three 3's" is commonly used in mathematics and science to refer to the number 27, which is the result of multiplying three 3's together. It is also known as a perfect cube and has many interesting properties in different fields of study.

What is the mathematical representation of "Three 3's"?

The mathematical representation of "Three 3's" is 3 x 3 x 3 = 27. This is known as the exponential form or power notation, where the base number (3) is multiplied by itself a certain number of times (3) to get the result (27).

What are some examples of "Three 3's" in nature?

One example of "Three 3's" in nature is the three oxygen atoms in an ozone molecule (O3). Another example is the three nucleotides that make up a codon in DNA, which is the genetic code for all living organisms.

Why is "Three 3's" considered a lucky number in some cultures?

In some cultures, the number 3 is associated with luck, harmony, and balance. Since "Three 3's" is a combination of three 3's, it is believed to amplify these positive qualities and bring good luck to those who encounter it.

How is "Three 3's" used in technology?

"Three 3's" is used in technology in various ways, such as in computer programming where it can represent a true or false value (3=TRUE, 0=FALSE). It is also used in the binary code, where three 3's (111) represent the number 7. Additionally, "Three 3's" is used as a reference to the third iteration or version of a product or technology.