1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Three accelerators in a car

1. Oct 10, 2009 #1
    How many "accelerators" do you have in your car? There are at least 3 controls in the car which can be used to cause the car to accelerate. What are they? What accelerations do they produce?

I simply do not understand this question...are they talking accelerations within the car, or acceleration OF the car as a whole and even still I don't understand...

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2009 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Remember that acceleration can be negative

4. Oct 10, 2009 #3
    Ok so the gas pedal in drive and reverse I suppose, but there's still a third? And what does it mean by what type of acceleration?

5. Oct 10, 2009 #4

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Acceleration has a different meaning in physics than everyday
    Acceleration is rate of change of velocity, what does negative accelration mean?
    How else do you change the velocity in a car.

6. Oct 10, 2009 #5
    Ahhh, braking! Right? Negative acceleration just means the velocity is decreasing, so if you go from 0 to 55 mph, then hit the break to stop accelerating to keep at a constant speed, you have negative acceleration?

7. Oct 10, 2009 #6

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Almost, braking is negative acceleration - so if you go from 55mph to 0 in 10seconds you have an aceleration of -5.5mph/s or -2.5m/s^2

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook