1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Three Blocks Contact force

1. Sep 27, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Three blocks on a frictionless horizontal surface are in contact with each other. A force F is applied to block A (mass mA ). If mA=mB=mC=10.0 kg and F = 96.0 N, determine the force of contact that each block exerts on its neighbor.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

a=96/(10+10+10)=3.2N

contact force between mA and mB: 96-3.2*10=64
    contact force between mB and mC: 3.2*10=32 or 64-3.2*10=32

did i solve this right?

thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2008 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi robvba! :smile:

Correct result … and it looks like you got it the right way, but I'm not sure.

This is a Newton's second law problem … you really shouldn't talk about the "force between" two bodies … each equation should only concern the forces on a particular body. :smile:

4. Sep 27, 2008 #3
    thank you. you're right. it's force of contact that each block exerts on it's neighbor. which would mean that block mA exerts a force of 64N on block mB while block mB exerts an equal and opposite force back; so mA = -mB. is that a fair statement?

5. Sep 27, 2008 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

erm … I don't think you mean mA = -mB, do you?

I was thinking more of mass times acceleration = sum of forces …

you know the acceleration of block A, so the sum of forces on block A is … , and so the reaction force from block B on block A is … ? :wink:

6. Sep 27, 2008 #5
    right. i meant Fba = - Fab (Force of A on B = negative Force of B on A)...?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?